Comtemplating on offering Work Experience/Internship ?

RolandLim

Hi all

I'm in a position where I do mainly recording/producing ,live sound/events and also run an indie music label and it's taking a toll !

I've always thought about letting people work for me as their internship/work experience etc,but wasn't sure if i would have the patience to coach them and if they were up to standard in terms of *passion/*attitude/*being driven/INITIATIVE etc. + have some chops. The people who work with me know that I can be demanding and expect a high standard ( although most of my clients are working with me by the fact that i push them to get the best out of them for recording )

Also speaking with Leonard (snakeweed boss) about this issue , he also felt that most of his interns(save for a few) didnt have the patience and drive factor to be able to work long hours for little or $$ and neither had the quality control/taste factor and yet on other hand alot of kids are willing to shell out 11k /18k at SAE/Poly which doesn't even guarantee them a job in the field which has a very small circle.

So what gives ?

I'm considering letting out 1 or 2 positions as an intern for Recording or Live/Label and would like to know ur **opinions** and ***how i should go about finding the right person for the job.***

If this tickles your fancy don't send me your resume just yet as this isn't confirmed , also i'll only pick someone after my overseas trip in June so I'm not in a rush.

Regards and thanks for reading !

Roland

Maybe one of the factors you can look at is to see if the individuals interested are dedicated to performance and music based on their history of shows and bands. Talk to them about their lives over a good coffee on a slow afternoon or a (few) cold beer in the night. Thats when people usually open up.

If you ask me, I'm very very interested to work as an intern even if I'm not paid. It's good experience, I guess.

What kind of interns or apprentices are you intending to look for? Do you have any criteria or terms?

the ones with chops probably will want to intern at a big name studio

the ones without chops aren't really worth hiring because they'll be wasting time

the ones who go to SAE come out with a cert, which may not prove anything, but it probably seems more concrete to people planning their 2 years of education than to intern someplace.

the ones who have already graduated or have some experience in the field probably need to make a living, and therefore can't intern for little money, especially if they can find more money doing live sound outside (even if they do a shitty job, which sadly, alot of them do).

The only ones who can intern, in my opinion, are people who are currently enrolled in a diploma/degree program at a local institution, who want to get on the job experience. These guys are probably in the right frame of mind to be working hard but they'll also have a difficult time with because their schedules are probably fixed and things like that.

I'm sure you don't want a crappy intern la, but maybe, if you're looking to attract the right kind of talent, you should be a little more specific in your search about the kind of things they'll be doing, so people will know what they're getting into and the kind of standard you expect.

Plus Roland, probably your interns will be your age or just a few years younger, so they're going to be having exactly the same bread and butter issues you're facing right now, if they don't see a big big benefit in interning with you, they're probably just going to get another job.

Back