Clean Bass Boost or overdrive

audie

Hello fellow bassists.

I'm currently looking for a clean boost or overdrive to add to my rig...Any recommendations?....The only thing that matches my criteria so far is the HBE Hematoma....

Any more recommendations?

i'm using the xotic bass bb preamp. It can be used clean or pushed to overdrive.

To me, it sound very transparent, bringin out the tone of your bass by giving it a fuller sound overall. Nothign muddied up, in fact, your notes become more well defined. I would describe it as a light overdrive, but can be pushed to distortion with an eq before it. And with 2 eq controls for bass and treble cut/boost, you can pretty much dial in a good sound quite easily.

My only gripe is it's a tad expensive... heh

If you need a clean boost, can try the rc bass booster. Tho, to be honest, i have no idea if there's any difference between the 2 other than the gain knob... never tried one b4

Is there a particular reason you need a boost? Are you having problems with your output level? Is the level too low that you need a boost?
That said, there are some bass pedals that come with EQ controls/Overdrive functions. SansAmp BDDDI, MXR, Sadowsky HBE etc...
Do note that each time you boost a signal, you have lesser headroom.

Thank you so much for the replies....Really appreciate it.

Actually, its more of an overdrive I am looking for, not the boost....During some songs I have to play a certain 'punch' effect and with only my fuzz, I can't seem to achieve it.

Is there a particular reason you need a boost? Are you having problems with your output level? Is the level too low that you need a boost?
That said, there are some bass pedals that come with EQ controls/Overdrive functions. SansAmp BDDDI, MXR, Sadowsky HBE etc...
Do note that each time you boost a signal, you have lesser headroom.

wats headroom?

iverson, where and how much to get the xotic bass preamp? despite my best efforts to save money i might be looking at a preamp if i find a nice one :smt003

Headroom is basically the difference between Distortion Level and the standard operation level. You can keep on boosting a signal but eventually it will get distorted if you boost too much.

thanks for the info

If you need a clean boost, can try the rc bass booster. Tho, to be honest, i have no idea if there's any difference between the 2 other than the gain knob... never tried one b4

lol was hoping someone could shed some light on this. the knobs on both have the same labels. looks like i will have to try this one to find out

shinobi: yea! do let us know. The description makes it look like the only difference is the 30db and 20db boost. i'm hoping it's more.. =)

This is one of the reasons why there is a 15/20db pad button on the sound console.
You can boost all you want but at he end of the day, if the signal is too hot for the soundman to handle, he's just going to pad (not pat) you.
Of course your signal won't be as high if you run through a D.I than direct Line In/Instrument In. Same thing applies to other instruments. So boost all you want :)

Back