Cheapo Strats vs Branded Strats

DarknessFury said:
What is the main difference in the 2 guitars?

Price :lol:

DarknessFury said:
Does the tone differ a lot from each other?

i'm waiting someone to say "tone is in your finger" and wait some long and boring debate start again. *popeye is preparing popcorn, beer and nice chair*

I posted an answer to this question a few months back. If people recall, my answer was EVERYTHING

then i proceeded to cover every angle from the tuner heads to the bridge and the wood and the pickups and the electronics and the frets and well, EVERYTHING.

See, my answer to the "How many softies does it take to screw a lightbulb" thread is coming true.

Well... you can take out the pickup and see for yourself. Mine strat copy had two holes in it... in a very awkward position just to settle the tremolo unit. Whereas a fender guitar will have a proper cavity. Neck construction is also a major difference. Firstly fender guitar neck are more well made than copies (unless the copies are damn good). The material is different too. Then the electronics are different. A strat copy knobs are not as sensitive. Then the tremolo unit, a fender strat can hold tunning for quite a while where as a strat copy will have its tunning haywire after a few dive.

Tone wise, every guitar is different. But generally better wood means better tone due to resonace factor. For strat copies, there are not much tone to talk about. Just change the pickups to those that can mask tone (heavy distortion type) and no one can tell the difference. But if you want to maintain the strat tone then might as well get the real deal.

Here you go, I just did a two minute search and found the thread.

This is gonna be weird, i'll be quoting myself :?

theblueark said:
Nobody seems to be really explaining.

Ok here is what makes the price difference:
Everything
- Wood not good, might be plywood even. This causes a lack of a "musical" tone. Usually as a beginner you won't notice this yet.
- Tuning heads not good. Your strings may slip and you'll find yourself having to retune very often while playing.
- Nut not good. Badly cut nuts will cause strings to get stuck and also giving you tuning problems. Also low quality plastic nuts also give "musically" bad tone.
- Neck not good. You may find it uncomfortable to play on a badly shaped neck.
- Fretboard not good. Some cheap guitars have maple fretboards with a ton of varnish over it. This would also hinder "tone" as well as provide a feel that most people don't really like.
- Frets not shaped well. Some may have frets with edges sticking out a little that may cut or be uncomfortable to your hand when you slide along your neck.
- Neck joint not good. You need a solid strong neck joint with the correct neck angle in order to best transmit "tone" and be able to set up the guitar properly.
- Pickups not good. "Bad" tone and microphonic feedback.
- Pots not good. "Bad" tone again.
- Jack sockets not good. $0.50 jack sockets will get loose easily and give you a whole host of other problems. Soon you'll be asking here "why is my guitar humming when I plug it in?" and stuff like that.
- No shielding. You will experience lots of hum because the electronics are not shielded.
- Bridge not good. Lots of burrs will mean you will have lots of string breakages. Lousy material will mean "bad" tone.

There we go. I think i've covered quite a bit.

Here's the original thread if you interested:
http://soft.com.sg/2006/modules.php...pic&t=12306&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I'm not pissed, I just tend to sound like a grumpy old fart. I'm more of bored really. :D

theblueark said:
I posted an answer to this question a few months back. If people recall, my answer was EVERYTHING

then i proceeded to cover every angle from the tuner heads to the bridge and the wood and the pickups and the electronics and the frets and well, EVERYTHING.

See, my answer to the "How many softies does it take to screw a lightbulb" thread is coming true.

hehe i just love this forum 8)

we need better categorization and sorting of data at soft actually.

searching is a little off sometimes, though i must say a large number of users are really lazy. (there's a Guitar Gear Sticky, a How-To Sticky for lot of guitarists, and then the guitarists that come in shoot the same questions back at you.)

but i don't really want to work for a large portion of people that do not contribute positively to soft, and i think james doesn't (didn't) want that too. don't see the point of working for free to serve a large number of people who just take and don't give.

the dilemna continues.

lol shut this forum down since some are just too lazy to search, and some are too lazy to reply and then start whining about how ppl are too lazy to search :lol:

apparently you haven't seen walters from the Seymour Duncan forums yet. :lol:

he's the stuff legends are made of.

thor666 said:
apparently you haven't seen walters from the Seymour Duncan forums yet. :lol:

he's the stuff legends are made of.

I think he is incredibly brainy.But has little clue how to relate to people!

Shredcow should get to see him one day...

I have seen him. Well, about 5 posts of him. I closed the window thereafter. Its too much too take. Walter emulates so many of us... he is like a collective of clueless-yet-possessing-nil-initiative-individuals! *SCREAMS MADLY*

Back