Changing priorities

weckl-x

I'm in a stage of life where I'm finding that drumming has gradually moved down my list of priorities. In the sense that, in the past, if I had time to spare, one of the first things I'd do is to practice/play.

These days, it's way further down the list of hobbies. I still enjoy it, just a lot less often. But I don't think music will ever cease to be the outlet for me that it has always been.

I think some of it has got to do with that fact that while I enjoy the challenge of learning new things, I can also be quite the slacka :D

Not really asking for a solution, I'm not unhappy with the way things are. Just thought I'd throw it out and see if anyone else find themselves in a similar situation.

It's nice to have gotten to know a couple of you good people through this shared passion.

That's quite a natural progression if playing drums is not your livelihood.

There's so many things in life to savour and so little time to do it all...such that if one single hobby dominates at the expense of others, it can not be good for the soul.

Many of us here do not depend on playing drums for a living. It's a nice diversion and great social catalyst..but it's simply not enough.

No...you are fortunate to be achieving a balance in life..and still being able to drum occasionally.

As we all age, sometimes priorities do shift. When we were in our teens, we raised our fists in the air and said we want to take over the world. Then as we grow older and wiser, we lose some of that 'angst' and know how look at things from a broader perspective. It an be factors such as family? Career? Spouse? That is when priorities might change.

I guess it can also be partly because you mainly only drum/practice at home? Very often, being able to perform with a band at gigs and such will help sustain a musical interest. I mean, how fun is it for a football player if he can only practice his skills alone at home or at his void deck, without being able to play matches against opponents right?

Nevertheless, don't give up just yet. You can still remain a leisure/hobbyist drummer who plays at home, until you find some mates to perform and such. Who knows what the future holds?

Keep the flame burning! :)

hey weckl, are u out of the saf bands yet? saw ur web site, some nice coporate gigs u played there. must have been paid okie for them.

maybe ur alittle burnt out, perfectly natural. in the band ur just surrounded by music, sometimes bad somettimes good. when i was in the band i practiced alot and paraded alot, and my last 6 mths there i didn't touch the drums if i could help it. i was burnt out. i think ur handling it correctly as ur not upset of stressed about it, if it comes back it comes back, if it doesn't it doesn't. say hi to ning chow and capt yusri for me.

Thanks folks for chiming in :)

Blofeld: Yeah, a balance sounds good. I guess finding it is where the fun is. Heh.

Mel: Yeah, I do have a band in church, we play 1-3 times a month. That kinda is almost enough for me. I've been thinking of getting another group together (since that competition... haha), but time constraints and all. I don't know how you do it! LGF has been going strong since I first saw you guys so long ago. Kudos!

blurred: Hey man, I think you got the wrong 'weckl'.
I believe you're referring to weckish (bryan) :)
I really need to change my nick.

Correct me if I'm wrong, do you often play the same songs for worship in church? That might be the key to why you're losing the interest, as you need to keep some things fresh to sustain the interest as well.

I guess writing your own songs helps keep things fresh as well. I still get the 'excited like a schoolboy in a toy store' buzz whenever the band comes out with new songs.

Perhaps taking a little breather from it might help? Sometimes my mates and I get a little sick of one another or playing the same stuff. So we take a couple of weeks break to refresh ourselves, before coming back together with fresher song ideas etc. Having a band with a strong friendship bond helps too.

Back