Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret

Hey phil, I managed to try the ver 2 mod last friday at tymc. Guess what? I can't tell the difference at all. Am quite disappointed actually. I was expecting a really huge leap in output and gain(not that the stock gain is not enough, it actually is very good enough for me) but after trying switching back and forth between the two modes via the internal slider switch, I really can't hear and feel the difference.

Maybe i need to try it with louder volumes and tube amps. I was trying it with their behringer practice amp. I guess i won't be doing the mod since I'm already running mine with a flying dragon boost so I get all the gain i need for blues rock to modern rock.

Just an update about the diff between ver 1 and 2. I got to try it today with my own amp and contrary to my initial statement, there is a difference in output and sound. The ver 2(bright internal switch) is louder and has more focus like a modern recording tone. The ver 1 is more airy and less punchy to me but i still prefer this as it has a singing quality to the notes.

The advantage that i see on the ver 2 though is that it's good for a marshall kind of palm mutes or chugging. It sounds a lot more solid than the version 1 when doing so on the low E string. So i think guys who are into modern rock will prefer this. Vintage tone hounds are likely to lean toward the version 1 as it's graininess is perfect for those kind of tones.

The impressive thing here is even if you switch between the two versions, the feel when you pick the strings are still the same. The clean-up ability of the pedals thru the volume knob is quite compromised though in ver 2 because of the seemingly higher gain. I honestly don't know if it's just the volume and brightness difference or is there really an increase in gain capability in ver 2.

edgie, i found the differences of v1 and 2 to be very obvious with the gain abt 12 o clock, v1 has much less gain, and v2 was much brighter. i prefer bright tones, so i'm still sticking with v2. at maxed gain, i cannot hear any differences.

Yeah, the difference really starts to kick in when the gain is at 12 o clock. At tymc before i didnt get to hear it as i'm testing it with a behringer.: )

Seems like the dls has been causing quite a frenzy! I'd probably get one in the near future just to have a shootout with the more 'boutique' range of pedals and i'll truly know for myself if it lives up to its hype :)

How many are in stock again?

Hey bob! yeah, you should try one. But try to audition it on an amp with a large speaker so you can really feel the dynamics. I think there are several units with different colors that arrived last week at tymc. white, purple, orange(my fave).

I was hoping someone would tell me more about this pedal.

The official demo vid turned me on too, but I'll have to see if it works well with my up coming nova system.

I was hoping someone would tell me more about this pedal.

there are loads and loads of opinions of users all over many forums. its a crazy, i dunno whether to call it hype, cos its really one of the best marshall in box in the market now.

its a king stacker. i've nvr heard of a pedal that is so friendly to being stacked with other dirt pedals, and usually the best tones are achieved by stacking.

my favourite combi is:

DSC_1750.jpg

Hey edgie! Hmm, a large single speaker like a 12'' or several large speakers? Any ideas on how to fulfill this pedals potential yet?

Actually even just a 10" inch speaker would be good enough. Just avoid 8" below. One thing I like about it is very pedal friendly. You can stack almost any drive pedal on it and it would still sound good.

Ic.. thats pretty unique since its a marshall pedal isnt it? considering the fact that usually 'stackable' pedals are probably pedals with low-mid od, transparent and reasonable touch sensitivity and dynamics.. haven really heard of a plexi-tone pedal being truly stackable..

That being said, many dirt pedals actually run through a dirty amp which in essence is the same thing..

Bring your dls for a shootout bro!

Bob, it's not a plexi type of pedal. It's: rock switch = jmp 70's marshall tones; rawk switch = jcm 800 80's marshall tones. Both can clean up well with the guitar's volume knob. I think if you want a plexi kind of tone, the wampler pedals would suit you more but i read that they don't clean up that well. Consider the DLS as an amp simulator which is a very good one that you might be hard-pressed to tell it from an actual one.

Edgie, sounds great, i'm looking to grab one soon, my board is already settled though - having already found the tone that i want.. No harm trying and giving it a run though, thanks for the review! Very informative!

You're welcome Bob. I hope you'll like it. It somehow set the standard now for marshall simulators. Suddenly people are ditching their OCDs off their boards. haha.

Dudelove, are you talking about the v2 in rock mode when you say jtm45 tones? The last jtm45-inspired pedal i had was the box of rock. It was way too bassy especially on the neck pickup.

Back