Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret

edgie

Hi guys, I don't really write much about gear stuff but I just want to share to you about one of the best finds that I've found.

I've always been a marshall-y tone kind of guy as, most of the time, it cuts thru the mix easily especially if you have a band that at least has 4 intrumentalists. But one thing I find lacking in most marshall-type pedals is that they tend to have a thick-sounding tone in strings 3-6 of the guitar but they tend to thin out on strings 1-2. That's where they usually exhibit their "transistor-ness". Suddenly the airiness/sponginess(softness of response in relation to your picking) you get from the 3-6 strings will suddenly turn ice pick-y on 1-2. If you try to roll the spikiness with the tone knob or trim pots, the next problem is you lose the spank of the bass strings. It's quite frustrating. Those who have/had a Crunchbox may agree with me.

Then I found out about the Dirty Little Secret(DLS) on TGP. I was very impressed with the official demo vid but also quite skeptic coz i was thinking it could be studio wizardy at play as most of the gear demos are. But I figured for its asking price(240sgd at TYMC), it's quite irresistible if it will live up to what it has been hyped up to be. That is, 2 marshall eras in one box. Quite a tall order for a small pedal I guess. And so the day came it arrived at the shop....

I just plugged into a craftsman strat and a behringer and still, I was very impressed with the way it sounded. It's like there's no way a pedal less than 250sgd can sound and be dynamic like this in my experience before. There are 2 modes, ROCK and RAWK.
Rock mode = 70's JMP's, Rawk mode = 80's JCM's. Rock gives you some AC/DC, Led Zep live tones, while the Rawk mode(more gain) exhibits tones from the 80's hair metal and guitar instrumentals era.

As I've said it's a dynamic pedal. Very dynamic. I got to test this when I got home to try in my Edwards Strat with Bareknuckle Apache pu's and my THD flexi-50 amp. I thinki it could be it's best trait compared to the other marshall boxes. Guitar's volume pot on 5 gives you the Little Wing kind of clean. Between 5-10(assuming you have a good pot like CTS) and depending on pickup selector position there are a lot of tones to be had. On 8, it's the marshall rhythm tone. A bit loose and middy in a good way. On 10, it's marshall-on-steroids lead tone just as I've always wanted. :)

One more thing I like about this is its simplicity. It's small yet feels so solid and it has a simple control layout. The aesthetics are nicely done and classy as well. No gaudy designs whatsoever to make it look like a trendy, fancy-looking, electronic brick. It runs in 9v up to 18v and it's not noisy at all. Havent tried the 18v though. Compared to it's higher priced counterparts, this could really be an eye-opener for guitar players to realize that they don't need to spend so much to get a balanced, dynamic, and ballsy marshall tone in a box.

So there it is for now, I hope other guys who have tried/will try can also chime in about this topic.

Last edited:
the stuff i've read abt it are awesome. i need to get my hands on one of them

btw, its at tymc already? i didnt see it..

Last edited:
Yes it is/was at TYMC. There were only 3 that arrived, 1 was spoken for, 1 was reserved for me, and the other one is probably sold by now that's why you don't see it. Or it could be that you overlooked it from their display window.

aww shit. okay gotta save up already. this statement is an exact characteristic of my playing. i just cant pass it.

Rock mode = 70's JMP's, Rawk mode = 80's JCM's. Rock gives you some AC/DC, Led Zep live tones, while the Rawk mode(more gain) exhibits tones from the 80's hair metal and guitar instrumentals era.

yeah, i could see from your avatar you're a classic rock fan. Good luck on your search man, and hopefully, you'll also do a review to confirm/contrast mine. : )

Waaaah Edgar, no no no. Your review came out too soon.

I've haven't had the time to try it out and there's only 1 piece left! ;)

okay, this review got me "turned-on" :D

Seems I'm on the same path as Edgie looking for the Marshall in a box kind of dream LOL

Sorry about that Phil. hehe. You can try mine when we meet up for the cable on month's end.

Try it guys and you may even see a pedal or two from your board kicked out.: )

catalinbread dls

the catalinbread dls is out of stocks for a moment. Another 5 or 6 pieces is coming in a week or 2, including 2 purple ones

TyMusic

It's going for $240.

After spending an entire afternoon with it and totally overstaying my welcome at my friend's place.

I.....

jpf19e.jpg

placed an order for 01 X Purple D.L.S today and also paid the deposit!

Last edited:
They coming in within these few days, will let you know as soon as they do. Then you can drop by TYMC to try them out. Better hurry because I think most pieces are already reserved, hahaha!

The DLS sounded superb on a regular 9V. Granted. But, it sounded much better on 18V. A lot bigger with a lot more ooomph. I was really impressed. 18V, here I come!

I'm stacking it with Flying Dragon as I already like how it sounds but i just want more of it. It also works well with my 200 lbs. of tone fuzz. I think it would stack well with pretty much everything provided you're not going for death metal levels of gain.

Back