capo for bass

hayabusa

does anyone know where i can get a capo for bass? the songs i play with my band regularly changes key. my skills not up to the standard to transpose with an imaginary capo, so i need a real one. so far, i have not seen any capo for bass in the music shops yet.

wow what kind of songs do you play? i have been playing bass for some time but i really don't know of anyone who uses a capo for bass. the only reason i can think of is when you need to play chords on a 6 string bass or something like that.

back to capos, actually normal guitar capos can do the job, as long as it's big enough, like maybe the dunlop ones. unless your bass has a very thick neck.

lol i've thought of using a capo before.. but that's just being plain lazy.

i say, practice practice practice. unless you're chording with your bass throughout the whole song, using a capo is quite unecessary, in my opinion.

by memorising the positions of the notes on the fingerboard, and by knowing your scales well, you will be able to transfer the scales all over the fingerboard. whenever a new key comes up, you just need to know where on the bass is the root note, and that serves as your anchor. :)

i'm not up to level to transpose mentally. the songs i play requires contsant re-transposing. because we've got a few singers and they've got different keys. also don't have the luxury of time to rewrite the chords on the sheets so a capo is the next best thing for a quick fix. i've seen victor wooten using one on some of his videos. looks like a tie-on thing.

now, intentions aside, has anyone ever seen one?

i used a capo once in a gig where my singer had to drop a key. out of no where and go back to standard tuning the next. used a dunlop guitar capo.
as long as its big enough. it'll work

yups a dunlop guitar capo should do the trick. sold at davis guitar for $20 thereabouts. :)

haha no problem bro. it's just that i was surprised that a bassist wants to use a capo, hence the thread went slightly off-track. :)

bass players who 'capo' their bass are just plain lazy and a disgrace to all players of bass-dom.
for goodness sake...you are playing root notes 95% of the time....learn your notes on the neck.

Hi guys,

Just to share this bass player called Richard Bona who used a capo on his bass..

Dun thk it is becos he is lazy but becos he want to get a different voicing.

Sometimes when Victor Wooten use the hairband, it's not just to mute the string so that he can do his double thumb technique, but also to create more voicing.

Also when Jaco wrote "Portrait of Tracy", one of the harmonics created is when he pressed his finger (acting like a capo) to get that harmonics out.

If you want to try using a capo, can use this brand called Kyser which can be use on guitar as well (maybe just borrow from ur guitarist fren).

As bass player, once we know the fretboard, we can just shift around.. not like guitarist who need to learn diff ways to press the chord.. hee so no reason for not knowing ur fretboard la.

Cheers

'Sometimes when Victor Wooten use the hairband, it's not just to mute the string so that he can do his double thumb technique, but also to create more voicing.' - benjoso.

what a load of crap benjoso, the 'band is to mute the strings so that they would NOT sound wen he's playing.

'As bass player, once we know the fretboard, we can just shift around.. not like guitarist who need to learn diff ways to press the chord.. hee so no reason for not knowing ur fretboard la.' - benjoso.

shift around without knowing the fret board?
lets see you play 'hotel california'.

you are a bass instructor? .....NOT!!! teach rubbish!!!

Relax la, thats what i feel ma. You nvr see wooten play around with the hairband beside muting ma? Than you shd go watch more of his vid ma.

"shift around without knowing the fret board?
lets see you play 'hotel california'?" - I nvr say that ma. I personally encourage pple to know the fretboard. So you can play a song in different key.

Also its benjso28 la not benjoso.

you are a bass instructor? .....NOT!!! teach rubbish!!! - Maybe what I share is rubbish to you lo. No need to get so worked up la.

I agreed, very aggressive.

Mr A walks into a coffeeshop to meet up with his friends, mr.b, mr.c and mr.d. As he sits down he asks his friends a question.

mr. a: hey guys, is there such a thing as item x in the market?
mr. b: ya hor.. got such thing meh?
mr. c: i think got la..
mr. d: i'm pretty sure there isn't why not use item y instead?

suddenly out of nowhere a pissed mr. e storms into the coffeeshop.

mr.e: whoever thinks of using that item x is a &@$!!! **%^!! f&^Q ##@(!!!

mr. a and friends(with blur look): that guy okay or not....

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Just a question as I'm quite puzzled... is there any difference using a capo if you aren't playing any chords?

Say the band goes up one key (1 tone), isn't that simply just playing 2 frets higher than normal? With a capo you capo the 2nd fret and shift everything up by 2. Now isn't that the same without any capo?

Only difference I see is with a capo you can still play the open string. Unless that really is the crux of the matter I'm quite curious how it'll make any difference.

Latest posts

Back