Buzzy noise when playing in front of electric fan

anonpersona

I was practicing my bass at a friend's shop, sitting in front of an electric fan due to no aircon when I noticed some buzzy noise coming out of the amp. The noise was also heard when I just touch the strings or the pickups lightly. But the noise was gone when I turned away from the fan.

Is this normal?

Last edited:
Pickups 'pick up' ur strings, cos it's magnetic. Ur electric fan is a big magnet spinning. Makes sense that u get interference? :p

Last edited:
when you talk into the fan you can also achieve a cool tremolo effect on your voice... maybe can incorporate into recording :mrgreen:

to get a mild trem effect, put the fan blowing at the amp and play the instrument, to get low droning sound, put the fan blowing at the strings and pickup without muting any strings. Listening to it long hours will get one to be in the zone of zen and enlightenment
icon10.gif

for bigger effect, use those huge aluminmium or metal built fan that people use in kopitiam or warehouses!

I was practicing my bass at a friend's shop, sitting in front of an electric fan due to no aircon when I noticed some buzzy noise coming out of the amp. The noise was also heard when I just touch the strings or the pickups lightly. But the noise was gone when I turned away from the fan.

Is this normal?

Should try put infront of electrical Drill instead... then you can become Billy Sheenan (Mr Big).

Back