Boutique guitar shops

Tsk, cheaper than custom shops? No doubt Nash is fantastic, but comparing it to other custom shops?
My personal favourite custom shop: Logan Custom Shop
Swamp Ash with Quilted Maple veneer, Birdseye neck, choice of pickups/colour and gold hardware for less than US$900. Please don't make unverified statements.

All hand carved with the claws from Logan aka Wolverine's hand? hehe. That would be an incredible feat even for a super hero

in real life, they dun. thats how i feel. because, the HRA sacrificed alot of clean for the crunch. and when u A/b it with an slo, the feel is just different. doesnt feel like the OD of slo. thats just my feel la... so... yeah... but the L 13 rocks! davis carries jet city? thats a steal! 495 wow. haha the HRA is 10 times more. lol!~

Yeah the HRA is all about the OD, so don't expect great cleans for it. Yes Davis carries Jet City. I'm tempted to get the Pico Valve once the new stock arrives. Subversion beat me to that one!

teach me smth, mike soldano is with JC? im confused. jeez... time to go read up more... haha ... well there are alot of SLO copies out there. no doubt they sound great. ive no arguments about that. i once tried a friend's ceriatone which sounded like a slo. haha. but i guess... having 'the slo' satisfy ppl uh. but still, slo are built to last. and apart from that CT, other SLo copies dun sound the same as Soldano's slo. what i mean by cant compare is, the price. and also, the durability. and lastly, the history it has.

Yes, Mike Soldano designs most of the JCA amps, with the exception of Andy Marshall, builder/designer of THD amps, who designs the Pico Valve. The pedals are designed by JHS and Guitar Slinger if I'm not wrong, can't remb. The lower wattage JCAs are based on the Atomic 16 and Astroverb, higher wattage based on the HRA.

There are many other SLO copies out there, eg. Titan Amplification makes a badass SLO copy. So can't say that other SLO copies don't sound the same. It's like saying that since you've only seen a white chicken, all chickens must be white, but there are also black chickens, just that you haven't seen them yet.

correction* the other copies THAT I TRIED, gosh, i hate typing with iphone. sorry steve. yes there are 101 copies out there. sure there are some that sound like slo. so mike design the JC, but he doesnt built them? then isnt it like he is shooting himself in the foot? for soldano?

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh how is he shooting himself in the foot? He's designing it but they are being built in the far east, that's how they reduce costs.

There aren't many boutique guitar stores in Singapore only because there isn't a big market here. People love to talk about Tylers, Suhrs, Matchless etc but who is actually buying those stuff?

Imagine if you were the boss of a store that sells boutique stuff. Sure it's awesome to be surrounded by good gear but when you don't make enough money to even cover your rent, that becomes a problem.

there is actually a sizeable crowd here in to boutique guitars man!

high cost low profit. have to note the fact that boutique gear don't sell like hotcakes here. not really an ideal choice for business but whoever has the means to do it, I salute them.

there is actually a sizeable crowd here in to boutique guitars man!

Do note that even if there is a sizeable market we are talking boutique. People who go for boutique usually go for guitars specified to their wants and needs in other words customized to their specs. Even if the item is hand made or boutique as we call it, it may not leave the shelf because it doesnt suit the market's needs. There is a wide spectrum of things to consider when bringing in an item to making a living off. We firstly have to understand that the guitar market is a niche market. Not everyone can afford guitars. Moreover we are zooming in onto the niche market within the niche market. I.E the boutique market..

ok my bad. but ive considered this 4, DN , PW, MC, Lava. and ive tried a PW that cost about 90? tried the lava coil which is about 90+ and a MC that cost 100 odd, and DN is somewhere 100 + too. but Dn sounds better. thats what im trying to say. not trying to mislead u guys. sry if u guys feel that way.

Pray tell, tell us more about this 90 dollar Planet Waves cable you tried. I'm extremely curious as to which line of this '30 dollars for 4.5m of its most expensive line' brand you tried.

Last edited:
All hand carved with the claws from Logan aka Wolverine's hand? hehe. That would be an incredible feat even for a super hero

No la X-men also got help... :p
dorngo: Uhh, wouldn't that be limiting? You kept your options open to 2 brands, Fender CS and Nash. And compare prices only. Right. It would be wise to compare much more than that.

not sure which one. but the women at a shop in BBC just gave it to me. and she just say it was 90 + when asked about the price.

Back