booster or equaliser?

Jiterator

hey guys would appreciate your feedback or advice on this situation.. currently i've got an MI Audio Tube Zone, which i mainly use for my rhythm stuff, and at times when i need to boost my signal or let it cut through a little more, i have a Boss MT2 Metal Zone stacked on top of it to add some midrange and chugg..

lately though, i've realised that the powerful chugging of both pedals activated is more desirable for my rhythm sound, and am looking for methods now to boost that sound when i'm doing some lead stuff.. was thinking of using either a booster (e.g TS7/TS9) before my drive pedals, or maybe stacking an equaliser after the chain to tweak the sound to my liking, but am currently undecided on this.

was just wondering what you guys think, and maybe if there are other alternatives to giving my signal a bigger presence when doing lead stuff?

i mainly play through humbucker equipped guitars, and a good gauge of the kind of sound i'm looking at would be the sounds of Dio, Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden.. a very deep sounding, powerful chugging kinda sound.. heh what do you guys think?

Holy shit dude.. Nobody need's that much gain!
What you need is a different amp (something which can give you that BIG sound, thus 12" speakers is a must)..
A different guitar? If all you need is gain gain gain, then active EMGs are for you..
If not get a heavier sounding pedal.. Like the Guyatone Metal Monster?
A TS is a slight gain boost.. If you need a volume boost, consider those by Xotic and Catalinbread..

haha i'm already using a 12" speaker! i'm playing through a Marshall AVT50, but i'm not using that much gain either.. the tube zone's gain setting is at about 1'o clock, while the metal zone's is at 9'o clock.. sure i could totally take out the metal zone and just pump more gain on the tube zone, but i feel that they complement each other really well at this setting..

With absolutely no noise? o_O What guitar and amp are you using?
You need something with massive in your face distortion.. Hahaha..
Randall or Mesa or Soldano or smth.. ;)

heh i'm mostly on my Edwards Les Paul or Edwards CY-165.. both equipped with SD pickups.. SH1 and SH4 for the LP, Cool Rails and TB5 for the CY-165.. it's still dead silent even on high volumes.. i've considered getting just one tube-equipped pedal to replace both the tube zone and metal zone, but i'm thinking more in terms of an add-on now instead of replacements..

Hmmm.. Maybe mod your MT-2?
I still find it awkward to need more gain, seeing you play Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath songs..
Try other pedals for a change then.. A Metal Monster might do the trick?
I'm quite lost.. I've never needed so much gain.. I used to use a Metal Muff, leaving the Top Boost on for metal.. Now I use my amp's distortion for it, or a Sonic Glory boosted into a JHS Classic Fuzz for chugga chugga stuff..

Edit : Using a Gibson SG Standard or Epiphone G-400 w MightyMite Vintage Buckers into a Randall RG100SC for extra info

Last edited:
heh ok.. yeah i do some iron maiden and black sabbath, but my main influence lies mostly in Dio stuff.. that one tends to get a bit more heavy at times..

I've tried the RC Booster, leave the treble and bass at 12. Volume higher than your rhythm setting. Should do the trick for lead. The bass can be at 1 or 2 if you want a fatter tone ;)
Suggest you head down to blackwood guitars at bras basah, they have it there. Give it a try and see if it works for you?

hey guys would appreciate your feedback or advice on this situation.. currently i've got an MI Audio Tube Zone, which i mainly use for my rhythm stuff, and at times when i need to boost my signal or let it cut through a little more, i have a Boss MT2 Metal Zone stacked on top of it to add some midrange and chugg..

lately though, i've realised that the powerful chugging of both pedals activated is more desirable for my rhythm sound, and am looking for methods now to boost that sound when i'm doing some lead stuff.. was thinking of using either a booster (e.g TS7/TS9) before my drive pedals, or maybe stacking an equaliser after the chain to tweak the sound to my liking, but am currently undecided on this.

Which is before which? I actually use the TZOD as the booster, and MI recommends placing the TZOD AFTER all the other drive pedals.

I've found that the EQ and some boosters don't really give the volume level a boost when the full distortion is on. That's why I used the TZOD as a booster pedal.

@Excalibur:

heh yeah i'm actually most likely heading down tomorrow to see what options i have.. will take note to try out the RC Booster..

@Whitestrat:

yeah my Tube Zone is just before my Metal Zone.. usually i would turn on the Metal Zone when i need that little extra to cut through.. tried stacking it the other way round, but found that the sound wasn't exactly to my liking.. haha

Eh, that's coz you place the boost before the drive lah... no?

OH YA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shit!!!! No wonder it didn't work!!! Damn! I swear, that's probably the dumbest thing I've done man... Thanks! Whahahahahaha... Now I could have saved money just by using a booster! Whahahahahaha...:mrgreen:

Whitestrat.

you're... not kidding are you?

No man... Honestly slipped my brain... I really forgot about putting a drive pedal before the booster. I dunno why... I actually tried to get the booster to bost the amp's distortion... Whahahahaha... Stupid sia...:p

...And I was scratching my head wondering why it didn't work...

Latest posts

Back