Boon musical instrument center review

Dark Heart

is this jam studio good?

Any convenient jam studio recommend, cos a lot i find one no website, ulu place somemore. Don't want later waste time and energy find. No lcube, or those at park lane mall, other than beat merchant.

Music lab got jam studio mah, so many threads about this studio at bugis. Will be good if theres jam studio, then they can publicise more about their school. more jammers will know about it and go learn music there maybe.

lol i tok too much^^

Yamaha no jam studio, sian.
I like the sound of yamaha drum, though i prefer Pearl drum more.

I use G2 evans drumhead on my pearl forum drum, bought from ranking, the sound still don sound as good as yamaha drum with G1 evans drum head.

Don want waste so much money buy so many drum head to try out, later those not suitable one left to collect dust.

Hey Alvin from music lab also use Pearl drum right, wat drum head he use?

Hey Dark Heart,

LOL, I am now using Attack Drum Heads! The heads have more projection, MUCH better durability and retains tuning much better than all heads I have played! Feel free to come check out my kit, especially if you are really into Pearl Drums!

Perhaps one day we will open up for public rental of our studios, but right now, our band rooms are really full.

Boon isn't bad. I grew up jamming there. In fact, I started jamming there when he first started his business 17-18yrs ago....

For studio listings:

http://soft.com.sg/forum/music-kopi-tiam/4101-singapore-jam-studios-list-read-first-post.html

You can also try Music Ensemble located at POMO (previously Paradiz Centre), Basement. Tel: 63381220

Hey Bruce, ooh, I love the Aquarian Studio Xs too!

The Attack is glueless and the end of the skin coils around the collar so it retains tunabiliy much better. When I was using other bands, I always have to re-tighten fresh heads after a day of playing (even after pre-stretching them). With the Attack, they stay in tune even for fresh heads. Also, the coating is amazing if u use coated skins. They don't come off quite as fast. In fact, the coated heads on my practice kit still looks like new after 8 weeks (I play on them about 3 hours a day).

Another thing, they seem to project a lot better. When I run it through the my digital mixer, I have to cut my volume by one notch on toms and about 1.5 to 2 notches for my snare and kick as compared to when I had other heads on.

is this jam studio good?

Bro, which location is most convenient for you?

I can recommend you Shiin Studio - my band has been jamming there regularly because its central, and the equipment's very well mantained. It's located opposite Chinatown station's exit, so its very convenient. Less than 5 min walk from control station.

If you're in the East side, Boon studio is good. Uncles seem a bit intimidating at first lar, very gruff and rough guys, but they're nice people as long as you don't try to do anything funny in the studio. If you wanna bring drinks in, ask them for permission first.. they're more inclined to give you the go ahead if you ask them! It's cheap too!

For the drum sound right, G2s are fantastic heads for toms! One thing you have to note is that the Pearl Forum is an entry level kit, and there's only so much you can do to the sound to make it sound "good" (comparable to a higher end kit). Perhaps its also your tuning... have you changed the reso (bottom) head yet? It makes a HUGE difference too!

Btw @alvinthedrummer... saw your new little toy! Fantastic tone to them...! If you're gonna be bringing in snares, I'm gonna head down to check them out man. Looks fantastic! One question though, how's the floor tom reso holding up if you're slamming a bass beater on it...?

One question though, how's the floor tom reso holding up if you're slamming a bass beater on it...?

It is unlikely he is using a reso - more like a coated single or double ply head at the bottom to add more thump and thickness to reduce the bounce

It is unlikely he is using a reso - more like a coated single or double ply head at the bottom to add more thump and thickness to reduce the bounce

Yeah I was thinking that the reso was probably a 2ply, but still, I'm just wondering how it'll hold up.

My theory is that the bass drum - 18" and above, has a larger surface area, so when your bass beater impacts the head, the pressure is spread out over a larger surface area, and the longer T-rods hold the tuning better when compared to the shorter t-rods of a floor tom, as well as the smaller surface area of the floor tom.

I'm quite sure it works la haha if not those cocktail drumsets wouldn't be selling at all, but I'm just wondering how the tuning holds up...?

Back