Blues composition

hear more blues songs.
Blues are usually sad stuff.
as for melody wise maybe take a 12 bar blues backing track then hum a tune to it then figure out what u hum on the guitar

not true, theres a pretty big variety of blues, stuff like jump blues/ shuffle blues can have pretty happy lyrics

Well you've heard about love givin' sight to the blind
My baby's lovin' cause the sun to shine
She's my sweet little thang....She's my pride and joy
She's my sweet little baby....I'm her little lover boy

everybody knows this one :)

sad what , u hear the lyrics all so sad

?!? What kinda blues are you listening to?

If it's stuff like Robert Johnson in 1930s yeah then blues were about everyday life as a black person in the States.

Blues being sad is a age old myth and it's probably down to the minor progression in most of the songs.

hi the best way for composing a blues song is getting together and jamming inspiration will eventually pop up.

Hey guys just want to share with you all here since the TS is having some inspiration problem, you might wanna check out this page here., free blues video lessons and also you can download the backing tracks. I just thought it would be great to share this kind of finds for blues.

Last edited:
@dudelove

Well actually everyday life as a black person in the States in that period was kind of sad, but their music's purpose was to uplift the community. Almost all music eg. Swing, Gospel, Blues, Negro Spirituals, that either originated from the slavery era or evolved out of it tended to reflect a kind of defiance against the horrific oppression that they had to endure. Not so much in the violent or raging sense, but more of a refusal to be robbed of their dignity regardless of the circumstance.

In that sense, it's really that deep seated sadness and sense of injustice in slave culture that gives the blues its characteristic mix of melancholy and joy. Minor over Major, so to speak.

Blues "form" is another thing altogether, you can write something in a blues chord progression that sounds nothing like the blues, it's just a musical form and if abused has no real meaning in the "Blues" sense, but can still be a great piece of music.

Last edited:
Back