Blackwater Park - Opeth

scylla019

Blackwater Park can easily be stated as Opeth, progressive metal band's, magnum opus, with their other albums close in standard. Its also the start of collaboration with Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson as a producer. Mikael Åkerfeldt has outdone himself with this album.

As with good progressive music albums, Blackwater Park should be listened to as a whole. However, this masterpiece is not immaculate.

The album starts off with A Leper Affinity, a signature stereotype of an Opeth sound. This song is laden with Opeth-like riffs and progressive segments. Overall this song is average in Opeth's repertoire of musical wonders.

The second song, Bleak, is definitely the heavyweight in the album. Combining steel guitar strumming into the background of the songs, the production of this song is perfect and the riffs are, no doubt one of Opeth's most beautiful and yet dreary. If you decided not to listen to the whole album, you should not miss out on this song.

Following Bleak, is another beautiful song, Harvest. The imagery for this song is as immaculate as its title. A slow and artistic song, which grows on you very fast. Anyone who loves progressive songs should give this a good listen. However, the mixing on this song seems a bit too overdriven in the bass ranges.

As with the opening song, The Drapery Falls is another of opeth's signature sound songs. This one with a lot more feeling in the strings. A good song with a good start.

Dirge For November, is without doubt an audiophile's heaven. With mixing and production bringing out the fine "edge" of the song. This song is one with great impact on the album. The attack on the song as it progresses into the electric guitar segment is strong and cold, and gives the song its progressive beauty.

A Funeral Portrait, seems to be the outstanding flop in this album. The riffs seems to be head on without much thought, and the transitions into wrong chords are just too rough and unsmoothened. Not one which I would recommend to give a listen.

Patterns in the Ivy, a short instrumental, shines itself with well polished steel guitar sound accompanied with the light addition of piano.

Blackwater Park, is one song which everyone should listen to, it feels like the whole album was compressed into this twelve minute song. With the brutal growls of Åkerfeldt, and his acoustic guitar on the more eerie and silent parts, the imagery of blackwater park is complete with this song.

The whole album is an eerie masterpiece. Complete with its classy album artwork, this is one Opeth album not to be missed.
Blackwaterpark.jpg

4.8/5

Last edited:
I'm going to have to say that I felt Watershed was a better album for me, but this was very impressive too. Good review! :)

Blackwater Park

Leper's affinity when performed live is...absolutely remarkable. Saw them live in Melbourne in 2009 Nov.

Singapore fans, keep your heads up! As long as the dowloading continues, musicians only way to survive to do live performances. Won't be too long when the Mighty Opeth comes to town.

TF

Watershed was just a tad different from Opeth's usual music. Opeth never fails to deliver though.

I personally feel that Ghost Reveries was the best album Opeth ever released.

plus one to this.
baying of the hounds is my all time favourite opeth song, and Ghost reveries is always on my playlist, be it on my handphone or ipod

good to see opeth fans here...Ive been a diehard opeth fan for 10 years now....

My favourite albums are pretty much in this order

Blackwater Park
Deliverance/Damnation
Ghost Reveries
Still Life
My arms your hearse
Watershed
Orchid
Morningrise

Really bummed that they cancelled sg....hope they come back..

ps.on another note, any musicians here cover opeth or are interested in playing that sorta music?

my favourite opeth albums are: morningrise, orchid, still life and blackwater park. somehow i can't click with their other albums.

Back