Bill Bruford

hi

just watched his concert of 6 June... i think many others went to his clinic...

that guy is awesome? Earthworks... man they were all just having fun on stage... you could see everyone was flowing with one another... and they were so relaxed...

the best thing was that the timings were odd but it flowed "like a river" to quote him...

wow. opens my eyes man. that's one kind of jazz for ya.

WHAT! there was a concert and i didnt know?! the billy cobham one almost slipped past me. we should have a forum just for this jazz stuff to let everyone know. bet the turnout wasnt good.

yeah... it was pretty poor... everyone moved front at the start of the concert, and like only say 100+ seats were filled? but those guys were great. they really loved music and played for music. didn't care about the empty seats. truly musicians. it was a small crowd but to them it was a great way to end their tour... yup

Awesome show the Bill Bruford Earthworks concert! Totally inspiring and humbling performance. I think it was absolutely incredible that the band performed so beautifully despite such a turnout. It was a sound beyond jazz and prog rock. I was totally awed by Bill Bruford's drumming approach and the tone of his overall kit which was very minimally amplified left me speechless. It was a rare gem of a great show to have Bill Bruford actually playing live in Singapore. Now if only my dream of ever having King Crimson and Allan Holdsworth actually swing by and play here that would be the bomb! Glad to meet other Bruford fans here. Do keep in touch ya. :)

wow you were there? oh man hahaha so cool! hahaha yeah... man i wish i could buy the cds... hahaha

yeah keep in touch dude:)

Hey embryo!

I was there too...

I am a big fan of bruford...

Multi-texture polyrhythm stuff he does made me go into him...

I paid the cheapest ticket yet i was able to seat at the most expensive seat...

That show totally blew me away..

Z'

Didnt he used to play for Genesis b4? I heard Phil Collins asked him to fill in temp on drums for a tour or sumthing...

I found an hour long streaming video clip from the following dvd!

Thought I'd share it here

http://cgi.omroep.nl/cgi-bin/streams?/nps/jazzbijdenps/musicmeeting2002/brufordborstlapbb.rm

Voiceprint DVD Bruford -- Borstlap: In Concert In Holland.

This 90 minute DVD was filmed in two locations in Holland and brings together two of the leading lights in modern improvised music, the virtuoso Dutch pianist Michiel Borstlap, and British drummer Bill Bruford.

Neither quite rock, nor quite jazz, both men believe in a music with immediacy, with authorship, and without boundaries or safety nets. Their instant compositions resonate with happy coincidence, brilliant technique, human accident, unforced error, missed chances, astonishing good luck, hidden intentions, oblique references and the full catalogue of happenstance that is mirrored in all human existence, and is just the kind of place in which both men can live and breathe and have their being.

This wonderfully evocative live DVD captures two great musicians pushing the boundaries of music and particularly jazz.

Bill Bruford is best known for his work with British bands Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, and UK. He has also led his own bands "Bruford" and the more straight ahead jazz combo Earthworks that he leads to this day. Bill has also recorded a great many albums with various other like-minded jazz musicians such as Patrick Moraz, and Ralph Towner.

Michiel Borstlap is a world-renowned jazz pianist who has also worked with many great jazz musicians over the years, most notably with Jimmy Haslip, Toots Thielmanns, and Pat Metheny.

This DVD will appeal not only to Bruford and Borstlap fans, but also to lovers of modern jazz and cuttin-edge spontaneous music of any genre, and in this sense this limited-edition DVD will surely prove popular.

Reviews : "...the CD and DVD shows two players exploring territory no previously apparent in each other's catalogue making it a hot ticket on the live stage." Jeff Melton, Expose, Issue 32, Sept 2005

Back