Best drum teacher in Singapore?

mysteryunited

Your favourite drum teacher in singapore?

Hi fellow softies, just wondering whos ur favourite drum teacher in singapore :)

Last edited:
Oh come ON, not again one of this threads!! There is no single best drum teacher AGAIN, there is no BEST DRUM KIT, there is NO single BEST this BEST that.

Every single teacher has lots to offer and I would suggest taking lessons from all the teachers to pick up as much as you can. From what I've heard, Mr Jimmy Lee is stringent about rudiments and building a great foundation, Mr Tama Goh has great performing experience local and overseas and dabbles a lot in jazz in collaboration with Mr Jeremy Monterio. If you're keen to pick up jazz, he might be one of your options with Mr Boon Tan who's known to excel at jazz playing on top of other genres as well.

I dun want to ramble on any further, I hope you get the point. There is NO SINGLE BEST this BEST that. Someone is always better in certain areas of drumming. So STOP IT, there is no BEST this BEST that.

The best drum teacher in Singapore. You really want to know.

He is the fusion of all the drum teachers in Singapore. Ask them to perform the fusion dance.:twisted:

Sry, no offence but.....

What i meant was that i wanted to know who do u personally think is the best teacher for any kind of genre as different ppl has different liking and i am just curious, SO SORRY IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY IT.

Last edited:
What i meant was that i wanted to know who do u personally think is the best teacher for any kind of genre as different ppl has different liking and i am just curious.

Why don't you go have lessons with everyone of them? You can then get back to all of us back here. :rolleyes:

I know what u mean...but maybe you just have to rephrase it.....as "what makes a good drum teacher..."

if u talk about "real" drum teachers...most of them would know their stuff.....whatever genre or style...

Another absolutely no-brainer thread unless it is some disguised attempt to boost the credentials of some of the chari-makan drum teachers who lurk in this forum hoping to feed off the young and impressionable.

The best credentials a drum teacher can give is the number of his students achieving distinction in the field of performance and other musical endeavours. That's the real proof of the pudding.

Ask some of the top young (and not so young) drummers around WHO their primary mentor was. Some may name their mentor in Berklee etc..but most if not all would have started off under some local drum teacher who took them to the next level. There you will get a shortlist.

Last edited:
Every Drum Instructor has something very valuable to offer it's Students, each distinct and is more forcus in it's own aspect and in certain specific area - - - by having an open mind and learning from as many Good Drumming Instructors as possible widen our perspective on how we can actually do Drumming.....

There are different ways of doing certain things (not wrong ways) ...

I benefitted so much learning from each of them and If one were to ask me - Which is the Best... I said they are all GREAT, but there is just no way of comparing them.

So if someone wants to try to be the BEST - you better learn from all of them, learn all their tricks so call...Signature Moves. hahahahahhahaha...

Eric

Da BEST dah !!

I don't understand some people's obsession of being the best...having the best...owning the best etc etc ad nauseam !!

Why drool about the "best" when just being good and competent should be first on one's agenda.

I reckon we do have many kids on this forum.... perhaps that accounts for the immaturity.

Yo man,

There're plenty of good drum instructors around, and it really depends on what your goal is, and what you aim to achieve. Do you just want to play rock, blues, or be versatile in all the other genres?

Whatever it is, stay grounded on the basics if you haven't learnt anything before. And even if you have, you still need to revisit the basics at all times.

Either way, don't listen to other people sidetrack you when they say this instructor is bad or this instructor is good. Find out for yourself. Check out their videos, gigs, listen for consistencies in basic things like timing and rhythm. Chops are important but for a start, they shouldn't be the main focus.

Alot of people talk talk talk, make it sound like they're better than the rest. But watch their videos... Ergh.

Sorry if i offended any of you, i think i phrased it wrongly , i was just curious and asking for ppl's opinion, but it is really personal, thks for ur comments :D

Last edited:
what's wrong with aiming to be the best. if you want to be the best, then you'll be driven. of course being the best not to show off, but just so that you can express yourself musically. in anything you endeavor, you should aim to be the best (that you can be). always aim higher.

of course you have to get your foundation right first, but that's the first step to being the best. what's the point of just being good. it doesn't make you stand out.

I think what he meant was, he was curious who do u think is the best, just ur own personal opinion, everyone has different opinion mah, some guys like steve gadd, some like dave weckl, some like lars ulrich etc, diff preference, for me , i think any drum teacher whom can teach the basics well is a good drum teacher :)

Last edited:
Back