bent on getting multifx, but which one?!

burping_boy

Hundreds of threads on which multifx is better, and everyone just have their own preferences, yet i'm still starting this thread. However my qn i think, is more about technicality rather than preferences.

I just got my cort z-custom (Cort) during the swee lee mid year sale like 3 weeks ago. I was intending to get the roland cube 20w but it was out of stock during the sale.
Now i'm considering a multifx instead of an amp, because i currently have:

1. Takamine electro-acoustic guitar EG540SC (Welcome to Takamine)
V
2. Zoom A2.1 (A2.1u)
V
3. Phonic Helixboard 12 Firewire MKII (12-Input Mixer with DFX & FireWire Interface) mixer
V
4. An old Pioneer Karaoke A/V receiver with a pair of JBL floorstanding bookshelf speakers

and it sounds decent enough for me.

I'm considering skipping the amp part and connect my cort directly to a multi fx to my firewire mixer and use the bookshelf speakers instead.

Will there be anything wrong with this set up? Which multi fx will work well without amps?
Do i really need an amp?

Was at city music today and the vox tonelab le really caught my eye, followed by the zoom G7.1ut which was more of within my budget. oddly, the line6 pods didn't attract me.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Ther is no hard and fast rule on how to play your guitar. Hence there should be no hard and fast rule about how your guitar is set up.

Kudos to you for embracing this often dismissed technology called amp modellers, but I'm surpise that you didn't like the POD. Which POD did you try?

Anyway, I guess you are well aware of the advantages and disadvantages of your set up, so it is pretty much up to you to try them out. Be aware though that twen you are trying out the modellers at the store where it is selling, the sound would probably be coming from a guitar amp, which means the tone is gonna be different from what you are gonna hear on your speakers.

To minimise any coloration that the amp might give to your tone, it is best to set all EQ levels at 12'oclock, with the drive setting at sero. This will give you the flattest frequency possible, and gives a more accurate tone of the multifx you are trying out.

Actually i didn't really try any of the pods out. I mean aesthetically by looks, the didn't get attracted to the pods, whereas the vox looked "woah"! Maybe i'll fall in love with them when i try it! I probably should bring my Audio Technica M40-fs studio headphones with me while trying right? Perhaps that would be closer to what i will expect with my gears?
Thanks for replying!

Yes, definitely... I use my ATH-M40fs for tweaking my pod x3 too and i find that it gives a very clear picture (sound wise) on every frequency band. The sound isn't fantastic on the ATH-M40fs though, only clear. It would sound fantastic if this setting i tweaked was directed into a coloured PA or monitors.

Its hard to compare multi effects in terms of which sounds better because they are all almost on par, what's more important, imo, is the nitty gritty details of which function a particular multi effects unit don't have. Like for eg, my pod x3 has no acoustic simulator etc...

Heh, I understand the Vox had more "woah" factor interms of look. People would say looks doesn't matter cos it's TONE that makes a difference. But I'm a visual person, and I understand where you are coming from (reason why I don't like the Epi Valve junior despite the rave reviews on it's tone. Look sto vintage for me :-X)

Abit of explanation: Many guitarists are disappointed by what they get out of the POD because they mistake it to be a multifx, hence they would put it through their guitar amp. What they didn't realise is that the PODs are basically digital amp modellers ie they are designed to mimic/copy the signature sound of very popular and classic amps.

What that means is that they are designed to be used like how you would use an amp: either guitar direct to POD or guitar to FX to POD chain.

Maybe it's best for you to take a look at the the main advantage and disadvantage of each set up:

POD (excluding the XT and X3 series):

Advantage
- With the current set up you have they work damn well.
- You can supplement the lack of fx with your own choice of fx pedals

Disadvantage
- They are digital amp modellers, so they are lacking in terms of built-in fx.
- It's fugly (to you)

Vox Tonelab

Advantage
- FX and amp modellers in one convenient unit
- Gives you alot of tone to combine and play with
- You like the looks, heh.

Disadvantage
- Tonewise... If you are like most people, they will be certain characteristics that you will find lacking about them and will commence to look for single pedals instead.
- With single pedals, you will pretty much leave the built in fx unused.
- I believe the amp models in the Tonelab are of lesser variety than POD.

Oh yeah, I use my Pod like an amp... The amp models for the x3 are quite realistic, only if u direct it to a pa or monitor though, not though cabs.

Heh, I understand the Vox had more "woah" factor interms of look. People would say looks doesn't matter cos it's TONE that makes a difference. But I'm a visual person, and I understand where you are coming from (reason why I don't like the Epi Valve junior despite the rave reviews on it's tone. Look sto vintage for me :-X)

Abit of explanation: Many guitarists are disappointed by what they get out of the POD because they mistake it to be a multifx, hence they would put it through their guitar amp. What they didn't realise is that the PODs are basically digital amp modellers ie they are designed to mimic/copy the signature sound of very popular and classic amps.

What that means is that they are designed to be used like how you would use an amp: either guitar direct to POD or guitar to FX to POD chain.

Maybe it's best for you to take a look at the the main advantage and disadvantage of each set up:

POD (excluding the XT and X3 series):

Advantage
- With the current set up you have they work damn well.
- You can supplement the lack of fx with your own choice of fx pedals

Disadvantage
- They are digital amp modellers, so they are lacking in terms of built-in fx.
- It's fugly (to you)

Vox Tonelab

Advantage
- FX and amp modellers in one convenient unit
- Gives you alot of tone to combine and play with
- You like the looks, heh.

Disadvantage
- Tonewise... If you are like most people, they will be certain characteristics that you will find lacking about them and will commence to look for single pedals instead.
- With single pedals, you will pretty much leave the built in fx unused.
- I believe the amp models in the Tonelab are of lesser variety than POD.
Hahaha... I disagree that pods may sound bad through an amp. Try out the XT live, quite decent if I may say so myself. (Then again, depends on what sorta amp it goes through...)

I'm a more sound person, I give valve jr 2 thumbs up! I'm also a practical person, so I'll give thumbs up to pods and the like 1 thumb up (for effort to come close in terms of sound).

Instead of plugging to computer etc, save the trouble and just use decent headphones. Bookshelves just means it'll get louder (might limit to how fast it'll break down, the sound I mean.) Unless you can do it like me, I run through a creative Xmod -> speakers, which helps clean up on fidelity (do NOT use distort, try cleans only with this, in fear of blowing something...)

In the end its convenience VS sound quality VS playing style. Pods are great for practice, budget practicality. Tube amps are sound quality, less budget practicality (need maintenance, then again so does your guitar [remember, strings]), then for the gigging group, mefx creates a simpler, less messier set up, like wise to head amp / cab set ups. where you might bring your head amp along to a gig. Depending on your usage, getting the correct gear will bring smiles to your face.

Thanks all, i settled with a Vox Tonelab LE with free Amplug AC30... Still exploring it's possibilities! Thanks to all!

dude... i own a POD XT live.... to be honest, u can even expand the amount of effect u want, because there's always updates u can find at their website. they even have soft ware and firmware upgrades... so in terms of tones and possibilities to expand.... theres alot of possibilities.. another plus factor i found in the XT live was if i were too lazy to create a tone... i could just D/l a tone created online... i wouldn't say they sound TOO fantastic "sometimes", but its a gd starting point to start fiddling around with

Actually, I thought my FloorPOD's low-gain and effects sounded near awesome through my amplifier, but the high-gain tones were decent at best. But of course its all my personal taste here. :cool: Never tried it plugged into my computer instead.

Back