Beginner's Package! Craftsman and SX Bass

staroh

Read the forum and it seems that there's a beginner package that cost $250 at Davis Guitar that consist of SX Bass and a small amp. Citymusic also have a bass guitar starter pack year end promotion that cost $390 which consist of amp, craftsman bass. I am thinking of getting the more expensive package.

BUT i am worry that i will put it down after playing just a while and let it rot because
this will be the third instrument i will be playing(excluding recorder). I played harmonica in pri school for 2 years not understanding the theory and euphonium for 3 years in school band being quite a bad player(mainly tonguing problems). It took me 2 years after i started playing it to enjoy the instrument and the passion for it.I am 15 this year.

But i did quite a decent amount of research regarding bass guitar and i am thinking of learning the theory a bit before buying it.

So should i get the cheaper 1 or more expensive package?
Thanks. Sorry for all the grammatical errors.

That's a nice story but there isn't much in there for people to help you make your decision with.

Good effort on narrowing down to two choices, and they're two decent beginner's choices too. After doing your 'decent amount of research', what considerations do you have? What factors are important to you? If you've not already looked through the many "help me buy my first bass" type of threads in this part of the forums, go take a look. They'll help you come up with more specific ideas on what you're looking for, then people can help you identify which option suits your preference better.

Is it a must for me to setup the instrument? So P-J Bass have more versatility but it can also sound like what a pure pbass sounds like , right?

=cheesedaele

Yes , I did check out all the threads in the first page.I am thinking of getting a precision bass guitar or a P-J Bass guitar. My main concerns are price , want a decent(i know that a horrible amp will make it sound awful) amp , not picky on design , don't need the instrument to be light but nothing too heavy.I want to get a fretted guitar. I claim that i did decent amount of research, but i cannot think of any other considerations other than the ones i just stated.

are you looking for a 4 or 5 string bass?

4 string bass

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a few good threads if you go back 2-3 pages more as well.

I haven't seen the SX packages so I won't comment on those specifically, but SX instruments are decent for beginners. They're used quite often as starters for project instruments. City Music has a good selection so whether it's P, J or P/J you'll be able to find one. They even have copies of MM and Ibanez-ish styles (1 or 2 fat humbuckers).

If the amp is a main concern to you, the Line 6 amp that comes in the City Music (I think it's a LD15?) is a good starter amp, at the upper-end of entry level amps. As a modeling amp you can get a wide range of tones so you can fiddle around to find out what you like.

If price is also a main concern, what are your reasons for eyeing the more expensive package?

=cheesedaele

I remember reading that a good starter amp is important as a beginner will probably enjoy playing it more when it sounds nicer.Most of it i read recommended SX Bass or TMP but i cannot find a lot info on sx bass models while i have a good idea on craftsman models i am interested in.
I have no idea what bass and amp is included in the cheaper package but i do know what i can get from the more expensive package.

Last edited by a moderator:
SX makes good stuff, but I'd personally go for the Craftsman. I tried a Craftsman 5-string bass before and I liked it very much. I've also played an SX bass (a copy of the Fender Precision bass) before and it's also a nice bass, but the Line 6 amp that comes with the Craftsman will be superior to the super-basic one that'll come with the SX package. So if you pay more for the Craftsman package, you'll probably save a bit more in the long run because you won't feel the need to upgrade or buy a new amp so soon.

Last edited:
Test both, and buy what you think sounds better. Don't expect an awesome tone from the amps though, especially the sx one. you get what you pay for.

Bought a craftsman fpj20 and i can say its awesome for the price!
However there is a red Swing bass at SV guitars that is selling for $235.
Tried it out when i was testing pedals there and it felt so playable!
SX i would say its decent but craftsman is one level higher.

Back