Beginner wanting to learn drum

oes23

I am interested to take up drum. But i dun kow how to pick up the skill. Can anyone out there help?

How if i would like to pick up the skill on my own. What will be the basic thing to learn. Fing a teacher would be good, but the fee is kind of "siong" to me

Hi there,

you can search for sites with audio and visual instructions on drumming ie proper sticking, posture, applications and all BUT without an instructor you'll be risking a high 70% of improper technique which will very much stagnate you even in the early stages.

personally too, i took my leap in drumming in sec sch when the band got me a personal drum instructor.

there's a reason why pple pay to learn you see.

:?

go learn to read notes and hire a private instructor. get ur strokes and techniques right.. learning how to read notes can help alot as u read other sources of drum education. fee of cos "song" lah. that time i paid 120 bucks per hour.. regretted lah. i could use the money and buy one drumset. and he was wasting alot of my time.

Maybe for starters, you can get those books from the Esplande library. This way, you can find out more about the art of drumming, have a go at it, and see if you like it enough to really delve deep.

And I agree with the rest. It's best to get a teacher who can lay down all the foundations for you right first. After you get the basics, I think you can safely branch out more on your own with the help of various resouces like DVDs, books, internet and more.

improvement

Thanks for you ppl advice. I had got myself a drum pad and start learning how to stroke!! hahaha...i mean learn the stork....got some problem on controlling left hand , but can go quite fast lah.....

Apart form the fast stroke beat, what are the things that we need to take note playing drum....seem like rolling for me is from the snar to left tom, right tom then floor tom...kind of boring ....

oes23,

i'd say just concentrate on snare and stickwork alone first. drumkit coordination can wait till later.

speed's not the thing to go for for now, but rather consistency and correct technique. firstly, which grip do you use? traditional, matched palms in or matched palms down? that you have figure and decide.

diff between palms side and down: side gives you more speed coz you'll be using your fingers to provide the quick strokes and down gives you more power coz your wrist is the main muscle for this grip.

start with simple exercises like R L R L RR LL RR LL
(all should sound the same)

then build up on a little speed, maintaining evenness(volume) and consistency(tempo).

but of course, i can't tell you here on the posture and all...

hope it helps.

rudiments are good, but for now you don't have to go beyond double paradiddles. just prac the basic rudiments like doubles, single paradiddles, drags and flams.

apply difficultly to each, for eg.

single paradiddle: R L R R L R L L
place accents on them like:

r L r r L r L L (caps are accents).

^^^ props to him yeah!

Yea...paradiddles is a good way to increase your flexibility...you could also create some grooves on the drumset if you know wad to do.

Some stuff you could practice:

R L R R L R L L (paradiddles )
RRLLRRLLRRLLRRLL ( double strokes )

...and alternating. If you get fast on these stuff...you could make sound like a roll...

remember to do single strokes too.dont be too dependent on double strokes though it may seem easier

AND REMEMBER...try different grips once in awhile to balance your style.
IF you always play palms down, try traditional and sides...by doing this you could also improve your technique :D

learning double bass technic

Hey,i want to learn double bass. How to practise on that? anyone help?

Hi there oes,

learning double bass is also pretty similar to learning your sticking rudiments, It totally depends on your objective and what kind of drummer you wanna become, There are many different applications to double bass drumming and it opens up a new dimension to your drumming..

Here are some of the basics for double bass..

The standard double bass beat. playing 16th notes on foot and maintaining 4/4 rythm on your hands, play your ride or hi hat on 8th notes or quater notes which ever you prefer and play your snare on every 3rd count of the bar..

16th notes on bass drum, and play a 3/4 groove on your hands.. If you get this correctly, everytime you hit your snare it will coincide with your left foot hitting the bass drum.. Gives a nice forward motion kinda feel..

16th notes on bass drum, play a 2/4 on your hands. Cuts the time of the first groove in half..

there are loads of other stuff you can do with your double bass drum, try these out first, il be glad to share with you info within my means. hope this helps =)

Carpe Diem

woo~~~it seem like the coordinating of the both leg is simply uncontrollable man!! i just simply can't get the dbl bass with more sychronise sound.....it seem like running wild all around....anyone can advise how to perfect on that? should be playing with the ball of the feet or resting on the pedal huh?

i think u are talking bout heel up or heel down right? depends on individual actually. some ppl are more comfortable with one technique or another.

Back