Beginner/New to Sound Mixing and Mastering needs help/guidance!

Heysoulsister : I've never use high pass or low pass filter before so I wouldn't be able to answer that for ya =) I just know one thing, if it sounds right, the client likes it, the consumer buys it = it is right. Cos end of the day the hundreds of audio engineers out there won't be buying your track cos the recording is not professional and cos the mix is what was that foul smelling word again?

1) google
2) YouTube
3) hands on
4) listen

@Firdaus Lam: Thanks for the tips. That is my first time mixing and i have no idea upon doing it. I always welcome criticism as im here to learn and improve myself not otherwise. The instrumental is indeed mono, i forget to render it into stereo when i uploaded it also there isnt any percussion or bass. its just pure guitar finger style. Maybe the way i eq-ing it is wrong so it turns out like that.

"recording is becoming a lost art", for me it is not lost if you find beyond what you exposed to. There are alway new recording done in high technical expects. Just that they are not done in mainstream music or big labels.

was it done in one live take? or layered? because if it's layered -

the "guitar playing the bass" needs to adjust on certain over powering notes.
the "guitar playing the percussion" beat needs to lower the intensity of the hit and/or your miking needs to come in from abit more of the left side (neck) of your guitar, angled at the 12th fret , distance to taste where there's just enough body and enough bite. just take note AT2020 picks up more harsh highs. which would explain the piercing beat as well.
it was in stereo already. just mixed in a mono-like image since you only have "1 at2020".

so in general your playing needs more consistency, your miking needs more experimentation, your mixing needs more experience.

Here's what i did, basically i record the guitar parts in one take after so many practice. i record 2 channel, one is with at2020 on the 12th fret and the other is line in stock PU from takamine acoustic guitar.

After record the track down, i blend both and duplicate the new blend track left and right. then i start eq.So thats roughly the steps i took if i recall.

For me, PU from acoustic guitar is out of my mix. Only for live sound reenforcement.

Last edited:
the pickup DI recording is fine if you don't have another mike, but this is what I'd picture - at2020 harsh highs. , pickups skinny + highs, may be noisy too but that's not the main issue here for now. I'd just bet either you're hitting the guitar too hard for the percussive beat cos the guitar playing levels are okay. or the miking can be done better (12th fret sounds fine though , experiment slightly further or closer.) if not it could be the mixing.

if you can get another mic to abxy, it'll most likely be more "pleasant" sounding than the DI cos takamine guitars if i'm not wrong is pretty bright sounding.

For me XY is better.
I am too use to it.
First, you can built a stereo image without too much effort (two SDC mic is most easiest setup for this) .
Second, you do not need to deal with phase for two mics.
Third, mono friendly thou is the difference is not a lot compare to space pair.
Fourth, you can fake a M/S setup in mix if your XY is truthfully at 90 degree.
Mix in M/S or XY, your choice.

The disadvantage is to find matched pair condenser.
Cannot built super big stereo image, personally I get what the point of doing that.
However, you do not need to do XY for acoustic guitar especially play and record with other instrument.

not a bad performance, I like the vocal work although pitchy at some parts , I'd probably compress the vocals abit more and the guitar sounds a little out of tune.

Back