Bassist's Effects Line Up Part 2 (Include Pics of your pedal board)

freezer000

Hi all,
after reading 163 pages of the previous thread started by exin, I decided to start a new one to refresh.

Here's my humble simple pedal board:

Pedals.jpg

Amp -> Source Audio Multiwave Bass Dist Pro -> Big Muff Pi -> tuner -> bass

And also powered by Sanyo Eneloop Pedal Juice which I read from fellow forumers: shinobi and alanchia were using. Great Stuff!

Incoming pedal BYOC chorus mod for bass.

Btw, the source audio pedal I use it more for synths and octave sound, and I have no idea why they name it a distortion pedal. It does have some fuzz effects but would prefer the big muff Pi or combi of 2 fuzz to get doubly fuzzly... :p

I use double fuzz to cut through my band if I want to drown my vocalists for fun, btw my band has 3 vocalists..lol

yoz fellow bassists, time to show off your bass pedal board pics and state what u like about each pedal.

Last edited:
Never tried the Demeter. Went through many other comps before settling on the TLC though. Very good headroom for a pedal based compressor. Way better headroom over the EBS. Transparent sound and very useful controls too.

Coolbeans: Nice! Your VT bass deluxe pedal needs to be unwrapped and stomped on...lol. Shipped from USA?

I am still struggling with myself on whether should I get VT Bass deluxe or Aguilar Tonehammer. I tried the tone hammer and it really is awesome with the boost, only draw back is it runs on 18v which I am not sure whether my Eneloop will be able to it power up, as for VT bass, the price is a draw back and may not be fully utilizing the loops and functions of it as I just need a DI with EQ.

I have tried MXR 80, didn't like the coloring of the tone, and sansamp BDDI, didn't like that there is no knob for the mids.

Yep, got it shipped from USA.

Can't offer an opinion on your dilemma though, never tried the Tonehammer. What I can tell you is that the VT Bass Deluxe is awesome. Offers me six different tones and lets me switch between them hasslefree between or even during songs.

Last edited by a moderator:

wana ask where did you get your BassIQ?

did you import on your own from overseas?

I've gone to Davis like 100 times over the year 2010 and everytime i'm there they said no stock, and when I ask when it will come they say 2 weeks, but as always 2 weeks passes by and still no stock everytime.

wana ask where did you get your BassIQ?

did you import on your own from overseas?

I've gone to Davis like 100 times over the year 2010 and everytime i'm there they said no stock, and when I ask when it will come they say 2 weeks, but as always 2 weeks passes by and still no stock everytime.

I got it from Davis. Paid for it in advance and waited 2 months for it. They called me when it came it, went down and collected. Don't think alot of ppl buy envelope filters though, so not surprised they don't stock much. On the other hand, TYMC has the Aguilar envelope filter. Tried it out and sounds pretty promising. Very different beast from the BassIQ but still pretty nice.

I got it from Davis. Paid for it in advance and waited 2 months for it. They called me when it came it, went down and collected. Don't think alot of ppl buy envelope filters though, so not surprised they don't stock much. On the other hand, TYMC has the Aguilar envelope filter. Tried it out and sounds pretty promising. Very different beast from the BassIQ but still pretty nice.

thanks man! actually i tried doing that, as in i asked them if i can pay first and make the order then when it comes call me i go and collect.

the sales person said no need to pay first, just leave contact number and they will call me... but of course the call never came :)

probably they dun like my face or something hahhaha....

i think maybe i'll order from overseas.

i was also considering the aguilar filter, but after listening more, i think i got my mind set on the BassIQ.

The demos on the Aguilar site are terrible. You can try it out in person at TYMC. IMO the EBS is more "plug and play", whereas the Aguilar is more tweakable. Trying out any piece of equipment is quite a terrible experience at Davis really, too cramp, too crowded.

Yoz all,
I just got EHX electric mistress for my bass.
Pedals I tried before deciding on this pedal.

Boss CEB-3: This pedal can be thrown to the garbage. Had to push the depth knob to the max before you get any hint of obvious chorus effect.

Boss CE-5: This pedal rocks. Had the lushness of a chorus and works really well with bass. Though the effect is subtle on the lowest B string. Not sure how the filter knob works as it has two levels, so prob one for low freq and one for high freq. I tried playing around with the knobs but couldn't really tell much of a difference.

EHX small clone: This pedal rocks. Compared with CE-5, the difference is subtle, felt CE-5 slighty was more digitized, was using a different bass too coz diff shop. Had full lushness, but lesser control knobs as compared to the CE-5.

EHX electric mistress: The pedal rocks x 2! Similar to small clone, but with flanger effect. So I can say its a 2 in 1 pedal. If you need just a chorus, I would recommend either small clone or CE-5. If you need a flanger and chorus, Electric mistress is the pedal for u!

Btw, I was searching for Boss DC-3 Digital Dimension, but the shop told me that its a Japan only pedal, so tough luck finding it in Singapore. My guess is this probably same sounding as CE-5 and BF-3 combined. It sounds great on you tube but I only heard it on guitar and not bass. Anyway, I am happy with my mistress as it it! =)

Nice pedal setup...how does the Xotic Guitar BB Preamp sound on bass?

Here's the thing that's almost completely taken over my life, lol!

164190_183430918348711_100000454134150_570796_7113450_n.jpg

MXR M80 Bass DI+ Custom Limited edition:
Use it as a DI and I like the preamp (this version is dramatically more transparent than the normal black one, which I already loved). I use to drive channel with zero gain and blend set at about 11 o'clock to get pickstyle grind - ala Duff McKagan for rock songs where I need to use a pick

Boss TU-3:
Very accurate tuner, great for tuning up quickly in between sets and also tracks great, even for drop-D tuning

Rothwell Love Squeeze Compressor:
Super transparent compressor that doesn't alter the fundamental bass tone at all. Use it to even out dynamics when I'm playing pickstyle, slap or drop-D. Love it for the fact that most people don't even realise it's on when I'm using it

MXR Line Driver:
My passive basses and MXR M80 are typically low output, so I use this pedal to generate more headroom and drive my other pedals harder. Helps a lot when I'm running straight into some mixer boards that suck all my output - allows me to raise the signal level of my bass, so the board doesn't have to boost me to the point where hiss occurs. The added headroom also adds depth to the tone - especially when powered with 18V

Xotic Bass BB Preamp:
Great little pedal to add a little presence and some body for cutting through the mix when I need to. Also gives the option of getting some amount of dirt with the drive level dimed, with the ability to get lots of grit if driven hard by the MXR Line Driver

Russian Made Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi (Modded by Sound Alchemy):
Adds body to fatten up choruses and support guitar solos without clashing with anything else. Very versatile pedal with all the gain stage switching and blend, but too much detail to write here, so I'll give that a pass

Artec Vintage Chorus:
Clear sounding chorus pedal with a neat blend knob and no perceivable volume drop or spike when engaged

EWS Brute Drive:
Japanese overdrive pedal for very natural sounding overdrive - good note separation and presence. I use it for some songs where a lead bass kind of tone is required, as this pedal allows the grit to cut through, yet it's still thick sounding enough to hold up in the mix and transparent enough not to fight with the vocals

Last edited:
I already own the guitar version, and it sounds virtually the same. Didn't see the reason to spend almost $300 just to have it in black :)

Anyway, recent addition to my board.

163135_10150120734113982_733238981_7671156_7343954_n.jpg

Is that a silver version of MXR M-80 bass DI? Nice..!

Yup, it's a limited edition version I happened to chance upon during a recent trip to Tokyo - the specs are supposed to be the same, but I tested it and found it to be more transparent, so I decided to get it to replace my old M80, which was already dying after 5 to 6 years of gigging.

The sparkle silver finish and blue LEDs are quite sweet too...haha

I already own the guitar version, and it sounds virtually the same. Didn't see the reason to spend almost $300 just to have it in black :)

Anyway, recent addition to my board.

163135_10150120734113982_733238981_7671156_7343954_n.jpg

I didn't try the guitar one, didn't ask about the price too, so I didn't know it was cheaper (dammit!).

Your pedalboard is amazingly tidy and compact, what are you using to power all those pedals?

Last edited:
I think they're bout the same price? Not sure. Paid around $280 for the guitar version some years back.

I'm powering everything with a 1spot. Everything on my board runs off 9V and pretty low current consumption, so a 1spot is enough.

Back