k k 1 more qn can ? :p

Cmaj7 is based on major scale
Cm7 is based on minor scale
C7 is based on which scale ?

I probably dun look at it this way.

Major 7th Chords are formed using basic formula of 1 3 5 7
Minor 7th Chords are formed using basic formula of 1 b3 5 b7
Dominant Chords are formed using basic formula of 1 3 5 b7

e.g. C major scale is C D E F G A B C (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8(1))

I take the 1st degree, 3rd degree, 5th degree and 7th degree from the major scale, I will get C E G B (1 3 5 7) = Cmaj7 chord

Since I know the formula for minor 7th chord is 1 b3 5 b7, 1 which is the root is still C, but I need to flat the 3rd and that give me an Eb, 5th still the same which is a G than I need to flat the 7th which will give me a Bb

Same thing for C7 chord = C E G Bb

So I use major scale to derive using the formula loh.

This is more complete - http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Music_Theory/Chords

Cheers,

Ben

i see !
thanks for sharing !

i thought it's by another method
major scale = w w h w w w h
minor scale = w h w w h w w

for a simple chords will take 1 3 5
for 7 i thought just take the 1 3 5 7
something like that

i see !
thanks for sharing !

i thought it's by another method
major scale = w w h w w w h
minor scale = w h w w h w w

for a simple chords will take 1 3 5
for 7 i thought just take the 1 3 5 7
something like that

simple chord use 1 3 5, 7th chord use 1 3 5 7, that's rite.

major scale = w w h w w w h is rite too. (I usually see it as 2 2 1 2 2 2 1) same same..

I like to see it this way for major scale = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
natural minor scale = 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
dorian scale = 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7

The thing is there are many minor scale. the common one is natural minor scale is which what you put above. Still got dorian scale, harmonic minor, melodic minor and etc.

So for me, I based on major scale and use the formula.

I guess there are other ways but for me, I see it this way lo.

Cheers,

Ben

Wow, Ben. Thanks. You're good at theory huh. :)

Still learning lo.. So much things to learn, hard to absorb...

Its good to learn some theory and apply to whatever music we are playing.

But I dun use all those chim chim scales.. just use basic pentatonics and other basic scales.

Hee.

Cheers

Ben

Still learning lo.. So much things to learn, hard to absorb...

Its good to learn some theory and apply to whatever music we are playing.

But I dun use all those chim chim scales.. just use basic pentatonics and other basic scales.

Hee.

Cheers

Ben

Wow, hehe, brings back those long lost bass lessons due to the lack of practice for years :p

Btw, always just wondering
a) How do you apply those basic pentatonics & scales? Do we play them whenever there's opportunity to groove or we should be more careful with our grooves?
b) Playing them means playing in the root key, thus we always return to the root key for the moment?

Thanks!
p/s: Any audio examples would help..

Wow, hehe, brings back those long lost bass lessons due to the lack of practice for years :p

Btw, always just wondering
a) How do you apply those basic pentatonics & scales? Do we play them whenever there's opportunity to groove or we should be more careful with our grooves?
b) Playing them means playing in the root key, thus we always return to the root key for the moment?

Thanks!
p/s: Any audio examples would help..

A) I think in terms of chords. Say we are in key of C.

Play a chord progression like Am F C G. From Am, how do I want to reach my target chord of F? and from F how do I want to reach C and from C how do I want to reach G.

I can use chord tones, pentatonics or think in C major scale to build my bassline. What to use depend what genre we are playing and which part of the song are we in (dynamics).
Let's look at Am Pentatonic scale. The notes are A C D E G (these notes are part of my C major scale). Basic/straight forward application from Am -> F chord, you can just hit A C D E -> F. Does not means u need to hit every single notes inside the scale.
And if u dun wan it to sound obvious tt u r using scale, than play around with sequencing.
Knowing when to use what also depend who u r playing with and ur experience.

B)I dun quite understand what u r saying but anyway.. Root key in the above e.g. is C.
As I mentioned, I see chords. But knowing wat key u r in, will help too.
Also, You dun always have to land on the root note of the target chord. Sometimes on the 3rd or 5th. e.g. C chord consists of C E G.. I might land on either a E note or G note when the band is playing a C chord.

As for the audio sample, I think u need to ask the pros here liao.. :d

Cheers,

Ben

if that's not pro then you are giving a new meaning to the word 'pro'

bass scales:

index.1.jpg

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find the cyberfretbass link really useful. Hope i can improve asap and learn to improv. ):

Cyberfretbass many good information.. Studybass also..
I like Shinobi's Bass Scales - can play from head to tail.. eat also :d

Cheers,

Ben

Thanks

Bass scales can be used in any songs... but doesn't need to be applied always. its the "feel" that what's important in playing bass in a particular song... let's say i.e. Creep - Radiohead ..... this one got the easiest bass lines (foundation bass pattern) but the way the bass was played is really uplifting...

holy..there is so much to absorb in this thread!!

very helpful, thanks to all those who contributed re scales and how to apply them.

well it depends on what kind of songs you are playing. but basically it would be great to know as many scales as possible as it may be of use at any time.

Back