Bass scale length

shamniceguy

Hey guys!!! haven't been on soft for a very long time=P hahaha Anyways, anybody knows where i can get a 4-string bass that is like 36" scale??? I know this sounds ridiculous but I want to know how it feels like using a 36" scale. Also, I'm more acustomed to using a 4-string... Never been able to fit in the 5th string into Pop/Punk=P haha

Not on any entry-level budget brand, that's for sure. Try Spector or ESP. You might have to order one custom made.

Reasons I can think of to play a XL scale bass:
Your lowest string is tuned to B or lower and you want a tighter sounding bottom end.
Your lowest string is tuned to B or lower and it feels very loose and wobbly.
You're a >2m tall giant and a 34" to you feels like a ukulele does to an average person.
You have giant fingers and spend a lot of time soloing above the 12th fret.

If your arms are short, you might not be able to even reach the first or second fret without uncomfortably pushing the bass outwards to the right. (Or to the left, if you're playing a leftie.)

haha I'm Currently using a Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird and its a 34" scale and I'm like 1.76M tall. I love the feel but the bottom end sounds a bit of a problem. Like its not polished enough. Also, the lines i play doesn't require me to stretch my fingers as much. I just need to slide just to cover the notes. But i just want to know whether the 36" scale will make my E string sound better or will it just be worst/the same???

Hold up... you want a 36" just for your E string?? You're kidding right?? If just the E sounds bad on a 34" scale, I honestly suggest trying other basses or quality amps.

sorry i meant 35... haha been researching and totally mixed up the 6 and 5. anyways yeah. I would go for other basses but i like the design of the thunderbird:/ kinda stubborn of me but yeah, design also matters alot to me.

haha I'm Currently using a Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird and its a 34" scale and I'm like 1.76M tall. I love the feel but the bottom end sounds a bit of a problem. Like its not polished enough. Also, the lines i play doesn't require me to stretch my fingers as much. I just need to slide just to cover the notes. But i just want to know whether the 36" scale will make my E string sound better or will it just be worst/the same???

try the Warwick Vampyre Dark Lord if u want a tighter, more kick ass E or B or even F#. its 35" scale but because of the double bridge. the strings are tighter. the bass are design and its bigger than the usual warwick vampyre and the tonewood selections and electronics are meant to handle big massive tone and go as low as F#0.

its great, i love it to be bits, sound so amazing, my fave bass among all the bass i have. discountinued and available only via custom shop. but camped eBay and u might be lucky and its build for huge ppl badass bass player, really!! !!!

http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=17072&katID=14460&cl=EN

Hey cheese, Dingwall's B string is 37", and it ain't such a stretch =p
Okay, good for you. I know for a fact that some people already have difficulty reaching the lower frets on just a long scale, so I thought it a good thing to point out for someone wanting a XL scale.

As far as I know, Gibson/Epi only builds 30"/34" TBirds. Since you have that Gibson Nikki Sixx it sounds like you don't mind forking out big money so go for that Warwick or go custom. If you go custom build a TBird, bear in mind they don't have the benefit of an upper horn so the neck joint is already further out than on conventional bodies. If you go custom, also share with us your review of the luthier!

Actually from my experience, a well built bass with 34" scale will have very nice tight feel to all the strings, even low B. I have 3 basses which falls into that category. I've also played basses with 35" scale but has a slightly floppy feel. Try as many basses as you can and determine which is better for you. Hope this helps.

Currently I have 2 from Mayones and a Warwick. The Mayones are very well built and the B on those are really tight. I'm using Daddario XLs and they work perfectly. Incidentally the 2 Mayones are the BE Gothic and a Comodous Classic. Both are 5 strings. Can check out their site at www.mayones.com.

Last edited:
Back