Bass problems PLEASE HELP

ZiqBassist

I'm currently using a 34' scale bass with Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky (45-65-85-105). When tuned to standard, it works fine but when tuned to drop D tuning, the low D string buzzes expecially when I play hard picking. Can anyone give me a solution?

I'm planning to change the string gauge I normally use to Ernie Ball Power Slinky (55-75-90-110). Will I have to set-up the bass if I change to a higher string gauge and how about the nut? Will I still be able to play in both standard tuning and drop D tuning without buzzing or the strings being to tight? Is it advisable?

I know DR has a special set for drop down tuning, the DDT. You might want to give it a try.
It is safe to assume that some minor tweaking to the set-up would be necessary after a change of gauge.
regarding if the heavy gauge will be too tight; string tension is very much a personal preference issue so you can really be the only judge of that.

I know DR has a special set for drop down tuning, the DDT. You might want to give it a try.
It is safe to assume that some minor tweaking to the set-up would be necessary after a change of gauge.
regarding if the heavy gauge will be too tight; string tension is very much a personal preference issue so you can really be the only judge of that.

Well, DR are pretty expensive ya know.

I aslo need bass strings that are: roundwound, nickel, good for sweaty palms. Yes, I have sweaty palms and when I use finger to play, it sometimes give like a "phiiinng" kinda sound which is sometimes unpleasant to some ears. And also string that are good for metalcore songs. Strings that give massive growl and last long and not so pricey.;)

So if ya guys know a particular brand of strings that are: Roundwound, nickel, long lasting and massive growl for metalcore, please tell me. And state the price if you know.

Last edited:
For sweaty palms get coated strings. Yes they are more expensive but they will last 3 times longer. I used DR black beuties on one of my basses and am happy with them. Rotosound also does black coated strings, the Nexus series. D'addario's coated string are the EXP, and they should sound almost like the regular XLs which is good for almost all types of music. They should be a bit cheaper than the DRs and the Rotos.
Alternatively you can get this special antiperspirant for hands called "Perspirex" from a drug store and stop your hands sweating.

Last edited:
Adjust your setup! The saddle and truss rod can be customized to your own needs. Too high action will prevent it from buzzing, but it will be hard to play, so you need to set it to your preferences. The truss rod can also be a factor, though if you are new to guitars/bass don't mess around with the truss rod, or your neck goes wako wako. >.< good luck :)

http://soft.com.sg/forum/search.php?searchid=1589769
This is your, what, 4th? 5th? thread started complaining about your bass, buzzing frets, and being broke?

Summary of advice, from memory:
- A proper setup is specific to one tuning. If you insist on hopping back and forth dropping D and back all the time, then it's unavoidable that frets will buzz, intonation will be off, you may even get a few dead notes. Live with it, get used to it, or be prepared to shell out money for gear that delays (but not prevents!) it.
- Whenever you change strings, whatever they are, whether they're the same gauge or lighter/heavier, so long as strings are removed and put back on - yes you should get your instrument set up properly. That's why it's advisable to learn how to DIY it, or get used to forking out $30-$50.
- Price vs convenience vs quality: no such thing as all three. If there is, you're either dreaming, being cheated, or someone's mad. Pick one to compromise.

i play in a few weird tuning from drop A to drop C and now on standard D and i play Grindcore, brutal death metal, black metal, etc.

i been using DR DDT for abt a year, now its on my 2nd set for both of my basses, record, gig and tour with those as well. it works well for now but i am itching to try others.

1. if u play drop tuning, yes u need to send it for set-up. or u can do it yerself. i did it myself, its simple really. especially if yer playing all the weird tuning cos if yer got multiple bands and have a few basses set-up yerself saves a lot of $$$.

2. DR DDT works well so far, tension is great, night and tight at drop tuning or any string with a hex-core. DR Hi Beams is good as well.

3. sweaty hands, etc.. get a string cleaner and clean it everytime u play or get Bass Brites i got some and it works great so far.

For sweaty palms get coated strings. Yes they are more expensive but they will last 3 times longer. I used DR black beuties on one of my basses and am happy with them. Rotosound also does black coated strings, the Nexus series. D'addario's coated string are the EXP, and they should sound almost like the regular XLs which is good for almost all types of music. They should be a bit cheaper than the DRs and the Rotos.
Alternatively you can get this special antiperspirant for hands called "Perspirex" from a drug store and stop your hands sweating.

Hey, thanks man

i play in a few weird tuning from drop A to drop C and now on standard D and i play Grindcore, brutal death metal, black metal, etc.

i been using DR DDT for abt a year, now its on my 2nd set for both of my basses, record, gig and tour with those as well. it works well for now but i am itching to try others.

1. if u play drop tuning, yes u need to send it for set-up. or u can do it yerself. i did it myself, its simple really. especially if yer playing all the weird tuning cos if yer got multiple bands and have a few basses set-up yerself saves a lot of $$$.

2. DR DDT works well so far, tension is great, night and tight at drop tuning or any string with a hex-core. DR Hi Beams is good as well.

3. sweaty hands, etc.. get a string cleaner and clean it everytime u play or get Bass Brites i got some and it works great so far.

Thanks for the info

http://soft.com.sg/forum/search.php?searchid=1589769
This is your, what, 4th? 5th? thread started complaining about your bass, buzzing frets, and being broke?

Summary of advice, from memory:
- A proper setup is specific to one tuning. If you insist on hopping back and forth dropping D and back all the time, then it's unavoidable that frets will buzz, intonation will be off, you may even get a few dead notes. Live with it, get used to it, or be prepared to shell out money for gear that delays (but not prevents!) it.
- Whenever you change strings, whatever they are, whether they're the same gauge or lighter/heavier, so long as strings are removed and put back on - yes you should get your instrument set up properly. That's why it's advisable to learn how to DIY it, or get used to forking out $30-$50.
- Price vs convenience vs quality: no such thing as all three. If there is, you're either dreaming, being cheated, or someone's mad. Pick one to compromise.

Ok.... thanks

I've been using Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky bass strings (medium gauge). If I switch to D'Addiario EXP Coated Nickel Round Wound bass strings (medium gauge aswell), will I have to set up bass again or is it safe?

I've been using Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky bass strings (medium gauge). If I switch to D'Addiario EXP Coated Nickel Round Wound bass strings (medium gauge aswell), will I have to set up bass again or is it safe?

Every brand's tension is slightly different, even for the same gauge. But it sounds like your bass needs a set up anyway, even if you don't change your strings. I suggest you set up yourself, there are plenty of videos in YouTube which show how to do it. When your strings are dead, maybe try try the EXPs.

Do you actually read the advice people are sharing with you?

- Whenever you change strings, whatever they are, whether they're the same gauge or lighter/heavier, so long as strings are removed and put back on - yes you should get your instrument set up properly.

Back