bass line embellishments

rollie pollie

The embellishments I referring to are what u hear (usually slower ballads type bass lines) at the end of the bar when the bassist moves up the neck and plays some cool stuff that blows u away... then goes back to do the boring bass lines.

Who knows any book/ video/ youtube vids/ etc that teaches these things.

I know that if you play lots of bass, eventually you shld develop a ear for putting in these "cool hooks" that occur.

Or mebbe I shld just do some lessons with a bass teacher...

Anyone?

Best advice I can give is go learn a few off the tracks you've heard and admired, then incorporate =O As a general rule of thumb, the less you do it, the more impressive it is when you finally whip it out (sounds wrong, but yeah) A nice mirror to this would be to go down lower and slowly creep back up.

For going high, one method I sometimes use is to slide up to the 5th/octave, and bounce a little run in there. Tease around the octave with the diatonic scale, or pentatonic. Then you can either choose to hang, maybe with a little vibrato (Tal Wilkenfeld has a beatiful way of doing this), or resolve to the upper or lower octave. After some noodling and application effort, you should be able to 'feel' such embellishments rather than plan for them =3

....did that clear things up, or muddy the waters even more? :p

I will try and figure a few of these out.

But is anyone has vids or examples (URL's) --- appreciate that

Thank you for the tip.

rollie pollie,

for good basslines embellishments, listen to pino palladino, mick karn, nathan east, tony levin...you can seek the videos from youtube , instructional ones also....

then use your own feel to fit the lines in.

still, if it cannot seep in then i suggest u embellish tamborine lines instead and give the bass guitar a leave of absence.

Back