Bass effects

angeldogleslie

Hey guys any idea wad those effects box are for ? as a bassist u need them ? the wah pedal distortion overdrive and stuff any ideas ?

Depends if you have a need for them. Whether u need a multi-EFX box. Or you can try buying those pedals that you only need. The flexiblity is there, can choose from wahs to ODs to distortion, to synths to other wacky stuff. It's all about having the same fun as your electric guitarist. If they can use their pedals, why can't a bassist have those? All bass pedals sold do not have the 80Hz cut off.
A compressor/aural exciter is a good thing to consider too.

I play various rock. I bought a Ibanez Phat_Head PD 7 Bass Overdrive or something. I soon realised that i didn't like distortion or overdrive so i loaned the pedal to my electric guitarist. I have a Behringer Bass-V-Amp multi effect cum amp moduler. Didn't use much of the effects though, also dont have a decent amp enuff to emulate the tones.
I have a SansAmp Bass D.I Driver. I like the sweet sound i get from the highs.
I have a behringer MIC200 tube pre-amp which was dirt cheap at $100. But behringer stuff have poor QC thus the noise and hiss. I'm planning to change my power cable soon. Hopefully, no more hiss and noise after that.
The discontinued BBE accoustic 386 pre-amp I'm using has limited functions but it's worth the money.
I sometimes have trouble which processor/box to put in my chain but they get the job done except the Behringer units are freaking noisy for professional recordings.

The new BBE tube Pre-Amp looks good. Besides "exciting" those critical frequncies, it also comes with a compressor as well as a tube processor. Some ppl argue that's it's entry level blah blah, but if you like it. who realy cares.

Choose carefully what you want.

hmm but u really need the wah ods distortion on a bass meh ? Sounds pretty wastefull to me. Anyway how much is one of there effects box cost with all that stuff ? Can my band's guitarist use the effects too ?

u'd really have to bring ur own bass n test them out.. basically guitar pedals work for bass as well.. some not so suitable but yeah they can be used.. i have sold chorus (H2O), bass robotalk, compressor, microsynth, echo n fuzz to bassists n the pedals sounded very cool.. but for me, bass voicings shouldnt be over the top so subtle tonal changes n effects will do just fine in shaping the sound..

ok erm u guys have any idea wads the diff between zoom pedal 708 console and a zoom 607 multi effects ? i cant decide haha are there harmonics effects in these 2 ?

Not all bass pedal goes together with the sound. Some pedals they need certain kinds of guitar brands.... The best thing is to bring your own bass and try it out. For me i suggest the zoom fx 607 juz for a start.

Up to you to fine tune your tone and sound. Bad thing about some multi effects is that they can't use 2 settings at one time. So you can't have say a Wah Wah combined with a Synth. Should be pretty safe if you try one out 1st. Don't let any sales staff rush you into making a decision. Sound varies with different amps and Basses.

Apparently no need repiled on the post so let me just give you some advice. This is my honest opinion. I was doing sound for 2 years before I statred playing Bass cause i liked low frequncies too much.
Some things I've learnt 4 years as a sound guy:
I've seen more bassist not using efx rather than using any.
An amp moduler is entirely useless without an amp to modulate.
100 of local gigs use D.I boxes for bass rather than mic up the amps.
Yamaha basses are good value for money but after a handful of years, the neck will warp. I personally know of 3 bassist whose Yamaha "died".
Peavey amps sound like shit. I can use a 250 watt Peavey Amp in Wee lee Jam studio but still prefer my yamaha 25Watt Bass Amp at home.
Fender is only a brand name. Their guitars are another story.
A lousy guitar can be "saved" by hiding it's ugly sound by running through efx processors that "color" the tone of the guitar.
What's the point of having Marcus Millar's sound if you can't play as well as him?
Always test things out before buying them.
Seek advice or reviews on any item b4 buying. Compulsive buying is bad behaviour.
Be open to advice. Your soundman is not as stupid as he looks to be.
Lastly, take ppl's advice with a pinch of salt.(including mine)

Colarndo said:
Apparently no need repiled on the post so let me just give you some advice. This is my honest opinion. I was doing sound for 2 years before I statred playing Bass cause i liked low frequncies too much.
Some things I've learnt 4 years as a sound guy:
I've seen more bassist not using efx rather than using any.
An amp moduler is entirely useless without an amp to modulate.
100 of local gigs use D.I boxes for bass rather than mic up the amps.
Yamaha basses are good value for money but after a handful of years, the neck will warp. I personally know of 3 bassist whose Yamaha "died".
Peavey amps sound like shit. I can use a 250 watt Peavey Amp in Wee lee Jam studio but still prefer my yamaha 25Watt Bass Amp at home.
Fender is only a brand name. Their guitars are another story.
A lousy guitar can be "saved" by hiding it's ugly sound by running through efx processors that "color" the tone of the guitar.
What's the point of having Marcus Millar's sound if you can't play as well as him?
Always test things out before buying them.
Seek advice or reviews on any item b4 buying. Compulsive buying is bad behaviour.
Be open to advice. Your soundman is not as stupid as he looks to be.
Lastly, take ppl's advice with a pinch of salt.(including mine)

wee lee? is that a typo or is that really the name? cos i actually say a new music place near my house by the name of wee lee.. thought it was pretty funny

wee lee is bmc.. jus beside aljunied mrt..

bass effects or not.. is really up to u n what u want in ur music.. n when buying anything, try to make it a point to bring ur gear so u wun be disappointed when u get home.. :?

Back