Bass Distortion

Jabsbass

Hi, My band was thinking of jamming the song "Starlight" by muse.

I'm a total noob about distortion,

so i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what distortion I could use.:p

I use a MXR-M80 and it suits me pretty well. You can try the Russian Big Muff also; it preserves the low-end pretty well. You generally want to avoid guitar distortion as they are voiced differently and may present a great loss of low-end, causing you to drop out of the mix the moment you switch on the pedal.

Go on and try as many distortion pedals as you want! You might want to head to www.talkbass.com and Harmony Central to look at reviews.

try the big muff pi. i personally prefer the usa one but u should try both. well, if u're really really loaded go for the zvex fuzz factory. thats if u really are super rich. big muff super recommended. in fact christopher wolstenholm of muse uses that.

there's a pedal called the effector13 KP or something along that line.
I tried that pedal over at TYMC and it gave me the close-to if not excat sound of the muse bass.

cheers!

the voicing of the KP is pretty nice. it is a mild drive, with a buzz-saw kind of voicing. the colour is great for muse and more modern kinds of rock, and isn't too far over the top. however, i happen to like going over the top.

they say the zvex woolly mammoth is good for muse stuff. i think it costs under US$400, which means i can forget about owning it.

i use a mxr el grande right now for all my fuzz effects. abit noisier and more 'vintage' sounding. a devi ever bass fuzz is on my shortlist.

i've never tried the ehx bass big muff, but it sounds promising.

i recommend you try the mxr bass blowtorch though. it should be able to nail the muse tone, because its abit harsher and probably would cut through pretty well.

ehx and mxr can both be found and tried at ebenex

this will also be of interest:
http://www.youtube.com/user/bassfuzzcom
http://www.bassfuzz.com/

Ive tried big muffs, lil big muffs, mxr 80, odb 3

but imo the most bang for buck dist pedal goes to Ibanez PD-7. sweet tone for 60bucks

pd-7 was my first ever bass effect. its good for its price. but to me it sounds like a very heavy, crunchy distortion rather than a fuzz (i think it was meant to be a distortion anyway)

Back