bass cab impedance mod?

shinobi

i'm just wondering if it is possible... well, i know it is, so it's more of a question of who, how and where... to mod a bass cab from say 8 ohms to 4 ohms.

it is likely that i will upgrade my current cab (which is now for sale). my shuttle 3.0 is rated at 300W @ 4ohms. most cabs have an impedance of 8ohms, so the only way i can realise the true potential of my amp would be to stack 2x 8ohm cabs. i'm not gonna stack anytime soon because size is also a consideration.

you can rewire two 8 ohm speakers together in parallel to get 4 ohms if your cab is a 2x(X):

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

or you can rewire four 16 ohm speakers in parallel for a 4 ohm cab. it all depends on your speaker cones and what they are rated for...

pay more attention in physics! hahaha

Last edited:
There's no way to rewire a 8 ohm cab to 4 ohms without changing the cones. It's simple physics.

For example, if your 8 ohm cab is made up of 2 4 ohm speakers wired in series, you will only be able to get 8 ohms (series) or 2 ohms (parallel).

If (and this is more common) your 8 ohm cab is made of 2 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel, you can get 8 ohms (parallel) or 32 ohms (series).

Even if you 8 ohm cab had more speakers, you're stuck.

And seriously, "realising the full potential of your cab" is a misnomer. Doubling the wattage only increases the volume by 3db, which is really only just noticable.

Back