basic theory

paperLEO

Having read from this forum tht basic theory is impt, i've been wanting to start learning some basic theory. Long story short, can any1 explain to me wad are scales, why do i need to learn them and hw can i learn them and are there any other basic theory stuff a guitarist will need to learn? thks 4 readin cheers~!:D

i dun really know what are scales. im kind of in the same position as you. just doing covers of songs and not having the ability to compose a lick/solo.

can start of with youtube tutorials fo the diff types of scales.
learn the diff techniques/chords
shredding/alt picking/legato/etc

Guitar player/Keyboardist/song writer.

Hi,, I suggest u look for kaya 86. today post at teacher available.
This is your opportunity, don't missed it .

He is on promotion only $15.00 per hour.. so learn your basic theory and what ever you want.. I will back him up ..if u want to play well..as a remarkable guitarist.enjoy..

www.myspace.com/humblepie780

Thank you

JK

Internet is fine if you just wanna learn scales. Say in C key, the notes consist of C, D, E, F, G, A and B. these notes put together, it's called the C major scale. As donutator said, the five basic scales are the major, harmonic minor, melodic minor and diminished minor and minor pentatonic. There are other scales, which are more advanced, that you'll learn when you progress. For example, spanish music in itself has many many scales.

dun get too caught up in learning scales though. knowing a few is fine but knowing all the scales w/o knowing how to use them properly is as good as not knowing them. in the end, u'll be just sounding in key but not sounding right. :)

Hi,came across this forum n u guys r very enthus to play n explore music.I dont know how long u v been playin but try to learn songs first..(w ur friends or someone who can share w u)U v to play by ears n onces u can do dat u understand where to go fr there.
Theory is like cookin..U can v recipies of all dishes but if dont v e chance to do simple
stuff,u cant enjoy wat u 1 to do.E anwser to Y u v to learn Scales s they give u guideline.If u 1 to play a simple melody like Twinkle little star,u need to learn e Major scale coz all simple melodies come fr e major scales.Try dat.v fun.

for explaination and learning of scales, go to 8notes.com :D
the theory there is easy to learn and explains very thoroughly
gdluck on mastering it yo
(P.S. though i didnt learn from that, i revised my theory with that web only)

a scale is a group of notes that you will play in certain fitting chords..

If the chords of a song was played in Am.. then the Am pentatonic scale will fit that, that is the idea...

if you will learn the basic scales like Minor and major pentatonic, major scales, melodic minor and harmonic minor, blues scale.. it can be applied to many common chord progressions in Pop and rock songs today, that even if you want to learn some songs, your will see that the original artists actually use them to create solos or melodies.

it is important to learn them if you seriously want to learn how to play guitar.

Back