Bands Played at HeartRock Before....What's Your Comment??

I think Lifehouse has a point.
The local support is there.
Take Baybeats as an example.
Baybeats gigs was the most happening local gig in Singapore.
Maybe Heartrock can work together with the organizer of Baybeats.
And all of us should support.
That way, everybody learns something new.
We'll have the publicity, manpower, knowledge, information and most importantly, finance$$.
The youth can learn something like management & entrepreneurship.
We can also learn something useful in life from the HeartRock Man Mr. Anthony Kan aka Mr Chillin' Cool & the most lovely Ms. Cynthia Phua aka $$$.
Like PM Goh says, it's a win-win situation.
C'mon, lets support each other.

i agree wif super punk there. ive performed twice i and i really wanted to feel what it was like playing to a real crowd. although it was fun playing live but i felt it lacked somthing. but im sure with all this publicity it will eventually attract more and more pepole from all over singapore

one idea is that maybe u cud take heatrock to different parts of singapore.

i dont think it's not enough publicity. it's just the people who go there aren't looking to enjoy themselves. they're just there as critics. making the performing very bland.

HeartRockSingapore said:
Hey lars ulrich, which band are you playing for?

Metallica? :D :D :D :D

As for Baybeats, I think the main reason for its success is the organizers, WakeMeUp Music. It has been around for so long, so the fan and gigging base is already there. Baybeats also caters more toward the emo/punk and electronica crowd, generally considered to be more 'underground' and so the event gives them a chance to be 'free', in a sense.

HeartRock can be successful as well, it just needs time to grow and gather a following. It's good to see that it is growing in the right direction from what Mr. Kan has mentioned earlier.

The idea is gd and the commitment of Anthony is definately admirable.
However, sad to say I feel that the location is kinda bad. Maybe its just me but I feel Kovan/Hougang residents are kinda not into these kinda stuffs and thus not forming a crowd at the gigs. Unlike maybe the more popular and dense bus interchanges and areas, eg. Tampines, Bedok, Boon Lay, Clementi, etc... Sometimes its quite disheartening to play in a gig with a crowd of just 10-20 or just the members of other performin bands.

Thats the only negative feeling I have towards the gig. Other than that I feel its gives great exposure to new bands to showcase their music. Its also gd to have an "open" concept gig as it can showcase the many different genres of music that the bands play in SG. During my slot, we were the only metal band on the list for that day and it was quite interesting to share the stage with the other bands that played a different genre with us.

Keep up the gd work! Hope to have another slot again!
:wink:

its me mahesha, anthony. yah and everyone has to give credit to anthony and the rest of the comittee for putting in so much effort to organise this monthyly gig and to try and promote the local music scence to the rest of singapore.

and as i mentioned above, how bout trying to play gigs in different locations around singapore every month? that wud be taking the music to the people wudnt it?

the organization of the gig itself is actually very good. but its just that it does not have a strong enough following. frankly it's almost become boring. every one in the crowd is just sitting down, folding their arms, giving the armchair critique, no one looks like they're actually enjoying themselves. at least at the trishul metal fest there was a mosh pit and people headbanging.

Superpunk's band Dark Cloud played at our very 1st gig. Then I thought he was cute. They requested for a second performance and we obliged, because we believe in giving fresh bands opportunities to play on stage, instead of just jemming in the studio. I like to put Dark Clouds back on stage and invite all members of SOFT to watch them perform. Maybe it's time for us to see & listen to superpunk face to face. How about that?

lars_ulrich, or Mahesha is Dark Cloud's drummer. I like this guy, and he is a cool drummer. He keeps me informed about his exams and together with his guitarist, they even make their way to watch other bands playing. And that is the kind of spirit that we should emulate. I have posted on this forum once, and I reiterate that again, if local musicians do not support fellow musicians, how can we tell others to support us. And as we watch each other perform, there is bound to be comparison and arm chair critics, and that is how we excel and attempt greater heights.

Mahesha, keep up your good work, study hard and play hard.

I felt sorry for cavett and I need to apologise for the bad experience he had at his first gig. We were supposed to have the gig on a Sat 3rd July at Maplewood. At the CCs request to coincide with the Marathon Run, we changed the lcoation and time to the CC premises and have it on 4th July, a Sunday. Worst still, the CC staff did not open the gate to the stage until 2pm and therefore the whole sound check was delayed. That was our second time we performed at the CC stage. Frankly, the sound effect at the CC is better than Maplewood, but Maplewood has built up a following amongst the residents already. I have promised myself and to all the bands htere and then that I will never return to the CC stage. Terminal Cry can come back and experience Maplewood sometime and see the difference, but let me clear some of the newer bands who have just registered as well as some bands who had played in our earlier gigs but never got to repeat. I have a tracking system so that bands can have equal chances. That is also why I need more locations so that I can put up the bands more frequently.

maestro said:
i guess my only pt is with regards to the location. maybe it could be held at slightly more centralised areas...nearer to town perhaps? places like youth park...substation...

i thought the point of 'heart' rock was to reach the heartlands? playing at like youth park or substation would quiet defeat the purpose.

the event should have had mroe publicity. and playing in a bus interchange is a pretty silly idea as people 'flow' and not hang around. (its an interchange! its meant to facilitate travel.. people wont exactly stop just to check out the bands). now outside (or inside) shopping centres would be good, or like in the neighbourhood central.

HeartRockSingapore said:
I felt sorry for cavett and I need to apologise for the bad experience he had at his first gig. .

Wah.. How u know I'm from Terminal Cry? Heh...

Anyway no worries man.. We need more ppl like u ard in SG to promote and bring out the awareness to the ppl here that there is a music industry going on even though it may be small. Btw keep up the gd work and gd luck in finding more venues! 8)

I think you guys must have caught the latest posting about Power98. Well, that's what HeartRockSingapore will continue to do in response to all your asipration ans wishes. I cannot perform miracle, but I'll try to fulfill as much as I can. I also want to keep the feedback coming in just in case some very good points had miss this forum. Anyone who likes to contact me privately can use heartrocksingapore@yahoo.com.

jedi_pocky said:
i thought the point of 'heart' rock was to reach the heartlands? playing at like youth park or substation would quiet defeat the purpose.

Wow, I've read through this entire thread and Heartrock sounds awesome :) (Anthony, I've sent out a mail to you). Everyone's given really awesome ideas here and it just goes to show that a lot of musicians in singapore realize the need for singapore to "up" it's music industry.

Personally, I'm not even Singaporean, I just grew up there. I'm one of those people from uwc, haha :) But here's my two cents with respect to playing in the heartlands - are we making it hard for ourselves? By that I mean, should Heartland really be so exclusive in trying to appeal to such a niche market, when the entire local music scene is in itself a niche market already?

I am all for taking Heartland to anywhere in Singapore that can get the biggest exposure, right now. When the Youth Park is filled with bands regularly, and any other places in the city, then we could start branching out.

Baybeats was mentioned eariler. I think the reason for their support isn't coz wakemeup's been around a long time, but just that they have a good location and that a lot of people in singapore actually do wanna support the local music scene, to a certain extent. We just gotta give them something that's not too much trouble for them - like good locations, cheaper cd's, just over all good entertainment (xtreme sports and all).

Sorry for the long post. Hope it adds value to the thread, though. :D

Ashmorefan is quite correct with the observation that it is location that makes Baybeats a success. But I think the gig has also branded itself well that all, if not most bands would want to have a chance to perform there. I think if you put Baybeats at Maplewood Park, it may not be as successful, but similarly if you put HeartRock at Esplanade, we'll improve a little but may not be that successful either. I was there and watch the fun loving people, the grouchy people, the fashionable people, the passers by and the people who work. I just have this feeling that many were there just because everybody else were there. If I may compare, I think audience at Youth Park are more serious about music per se.

I'm just asking myself, if people only want to go to specific venues, is it really about music or about fads and fancies? Coming back to HeartRock, heartland, like the Americans would say,"it ain't cool man!"

But think about it, if there is any increase in market size for local music in Singapore, where do these people come from? Over 80% of Singaporeans lives in the heartland.

There is still a lot of thinking I have to do, but for the moment I don't think I am looking at being a very successful gig, but rather be that humble platform for any bands who is willing to perform. I may change my mind or situation may change the entire settings, but for now, it is still HeartRock @ Heartland. Having said that, I have just sounded my friends in Singapore Sports Council to open up the stadiums for HeartRock.

Back