BANDS: A Guide to a better recording

RolandLim

Hi guys , I've been recording quite a couple of local bands recently and been noticing a trend in the things i get asked about so I felt it would be beneficial to share the experiences and pitfalls to avoid when thinking about doing your 1st recording / EP / Album. Also, coming from spending so much time in Australia recording bands to being in sunny Singapore there was a bit of culture shock so I hope some of the pointers i put out will help local bands be better prepared for their future recordings.

I would like to stress that these are my personal opinions and that what I say is not the "be all-end all " of recording but rather a guide and I hope those who have a lot of experience with recording can share their inputs so that the we can improve the standard in Singapore.

1: We just need 1 ,2 hours to do a 'demo quality' recording ? how ?
This is one of the most common questions i get.Personally i feel the term demo quality should be put to dead with today's recording technology.Also i get calls from bands who spend 1 to 2 hours at a recording studio , unhappy with the results and want to spend another 1- 2 hours with me to " polish " up the mix. Sad to say , I can't work Magic in 1 to 2 hours myself.

A good guide to record a song decently would be a MINIMUM of between 5 - 8 hours ( multitracked ) . Ur average australian to USA bands spend about 1 -2 months in a studio doing an album and about 3 -4 days recording one song so there u go.

Also,there is no point settling for 'demo quality ' and budget recordings when for between $300 to $600plus u can get a solid recording per song.Moreover radio/ record companies / management / A&R / magazines/ compilations have zero patience for crappy recordings so bands are effectively throwing away $$$ by doing " demo recordings in an hour or two ". Most importantly with so many bands emerging these days for your band to stand out their recordings must have the production quality that stands out amongst the " demos pile ". Remember you only get about 20 - 30 secs of "playtime" by the Radio jockey/A & R blah blah before they decided they want to hear more or it's delete.

To quote Scott Atkins , a producer in the UK :
"In this competitive climate all bands need releasable CD's that will work hard for them, a typical DIY bedroom demo with programmed drums will only cheapen your band and lump you in with the 1000's of other struggling wannabe's. A strong production job will make your band stand out from the pack - if you are lucky to get a 20 second spin in any key players office, you'd better make it count. A great CD is this only thing that will gain your band quality gigs, professional recognition and the ability for potential fans to buy and appreciate your music."

Quite simply put : If u don't invest a lot in yourselves , why should you expect others to invest in you ?

2: The state of your Equipment.
It's important for your equipment to be in tip top condition when it hits the studio. Fairly new strings , GOOD pickups....stuff that doens't make noise... GUITAR INTONATION....drummers to have their own kick pedals and sticks that they're comfortable with. Remember ....if you're uncomfortable your performances will suffer.

3: YOUR PLAYING/SKILLS
Please ensure that your playing and your whole band is super well rehearsed before entering the studio. Yes this sounds like the obvious fortune teller doing the talking but in my experience it 's a common sight to see one or 2 members unprepared and letting the whole band down. The recording suffers and even with L337 Haxx0r editing skills your engineer or producer can only SAVE you, not make u sound like a million bucks.

4:SONG arrangement
It's important for bands to experiment and come up with extra melodies/harmonies idea etc but it is also important for them to know exactly how they want to record the basics of the song.That way all the basics can be recorded quickly to leave time for EXPERIMENTATION and implementation of new ideas that I personally feel will separate the bands from the pack. Drummers need to know the tempos of the song/ singers need to know their lyrics by heart etc etc.

That's a start , i'm busy mixing a band's EP atm so I will add more info and topics when I have the time.

Regards

Roland Lim
MySpace.com - Roland Lim - 22 - Male - - www.myspace.com/rolandlim

Last edited:
i totally agree with this. quality recordings, even if youre a total amateur, can really push your music to a whole other level. furthermore, getting gigs would be so much easier if you can pass a well recorded & produced demo to the organisers. you maybe the next incubus, but if the quality of your demo doesnt show your full potential as a band, then what for right?

but then again, a demo recorded and produced in abbey road doesnt guarantee a highway to stardom or fame. recordings are half (or even less) of what a "band package" should have (i prefer power performances than well recorded demos imho).

i have had the pleasure of sitting through roland's recording process and i can say its v meticulous. and for the price he's charging, its well worth it. may peanuts, get monkeys i guess.

roland bro what if a band comes up and say

"bro my band has got $500 budget and we wanna do 4 songs"

will the recording turn out better than those demo quality you mentioned?

I have recorded some bands over the time also. As i mention before in other threads, bands out there is still overlook alot of simple things. Let me add in a few pointers here

- guitar/bass strings ~ change yr guitar/bass strings, dun use rustry strings and dun juz change one string, if you wan to change, change all of them.

- drummer able to play with metronome ~ this is very important as the pace of the song would be in time and it will help recording other instruments easier.

- reference material ~ provide reference material to the engineer few days before the recording. ie, band cds, mp3 files. So as the engineer has an idea, roughly how you would wan yr guitar, drums or bass tone to sound like. "Good sound does not only come from mixing, amps, mics and miking technique make hell lot of difference"

- tempo of song ~ i am amaze that 95% of the band comes into the session without even knowing how fast or slow their songs suppose to be. Time will be wasted here also if the band cannot make up the tempo of the songs

- efx ~ there are guitarist or bassist coming in and tell me they wan their guitar or bass to have flanging through the songs. I am not saying this is wrong or right. But be warned that any flanging , phrasing efx might destroy yr song mix also.

- singers pls practice practice practice ~ there are ppl coming in, they can't sing in key or in pitch and as the engineer to tune. Yes, the engineer might be able to do it, but i wouldn't advice u to cheat yr fans!!

- use proper cables between guitar efx ~ if u have yr own rig, invest on some gd cables, coming in will crappy cables will waste time also, coz the engineer will hv to spend time changing cables for u and sourcing the ground prob.

The rest of the stuff is being covered by roland, juz in case i miss out some stuff u guys out there can go ahead and pm me. But my reply might be slow.

cheers and rawk on \m/

- request to come into the studio 15mins earlier ~ reason? to setup yr stuff, so it will not eat into yr recording time.

Dime:

"bro my band has got $500 budget and we wanna do 4 songs"

will the recording turn out better than those demo quality you mentioned?

to quote yr question:

most likely for that amount of $$ you might not be getting a really good quality sound.

however my advice for bands:

- save up a some $$ spend it on a gd live recording or a average gd enough quality type of recording for maybe say 3 songs. (gd enough to source for a label)

- do up a presskit. ie; songs, videos, photos and description of the band.

- website, myspace, facebook, youtube.

*all these can be done in less than $500 to $800. It all boils down to how proficent and hardworking your band is.

using wat u have burn into cds, send it out to all labels u can find in singapore and overseas. send to organizer. When you finally got a label for your band. Get the funding than you can go for the full album. This would be a ideal way of doing things.

Guys, i might be wrong, feel free to correct me... :)

Ichiro made some really important points there !

Dime , why would ur friends band want to record 4 songs( it's too long for a demo and too short for an EP ) ? $500 as Ichiro put isn't really enough to get a good quality recording.

Personally i would use the $500 - 600 to record 1 OR 2 songs WELL. WHY ? Quality over quantity. Why record 4 songs when ur listeners and esp gig organisers/label/ blah blah wouldn't even get thru 30secs of the 1st song if it was poorly recorded and sounded unprofessional

Remember...all it takes is ONE Awesome song to get the fans/gigs going (Personally i 've been in this situation where one song got us a huge gig) and u can use the money that will come in later to fund ur EP or Album as Ichiro stated.

Don't jump the gun and rush out substandard products

Regards
Roland

=RolandLim

Thats why my band is jamming so hard and saving up money to record with Roland....

After hearing his productions, I have no doubt that he is the man to produce my band debut EP very very soon.

\m/

Hadi

This is a post that should be on the new soft wiki thing. Just that i have no clue how to do it, if i CAN do it even.

i was actually planning on making a thread like this, but roland beat me to it.

+10 to everything roland's said!

Hey roland, just wondering what's the order of instruments when you record?

Usually it's drums first, followed by rhythm guitars, then from there it's up to you to decide really... usually the cellos are recorded like 3 weeks later though:) Btw, check out our album sampler to hear some of roland's magic at work. lol. *quotes corny tagline 'so good, it's magic.'..........
but seriously.....
magic. lol.

Last edited:
Hey roland, just wondering what's the order of instruments when you record?

Hi there , I don't have an strict preference and it also depends on the band and genre but drums are usually the 1st ( after scratch guitar tracks are done )

followed by bass guitar or guitars ( pending on genre and style of band ) if the song is guitar intensive then most likely guitar

additional stuff ( piano , percussion . lead guitars )

the last thing will be vocals and samples and whatever

Hope that answers your question.

More to follow in the coming days.

Regards

Roland
PS: Thanks for all the wonderful pm/rep stuff that u guys have sent ! Appreciate it !

hey thanks man. this thread really some sorta enlightened me. in the sense i was thinking of trying home recording. but come think of it.
is it worth? i spend so much money on getting the gear, and i cannot do a good job. is it worth? haha.
why not spend the money going to get it professionally recorded. they do a good job to make you sound great! yea.
thanks man. but its still fun tryin to fiddle with the equipment knowledge. interesting!

haha
IS IT WORTH IT!?
IS IT WORTH IT!?

haha just felt that this statement damn funny.

I totally agree with what Ichiro & Roland said. besides having a good engineer, each musician should have a good understanding of your music, your instrument and your respective spaces (arrangement).

AND i SOOOOO agree that drummers MUST know how to play with a metronome. This boils down to the basics as a drummer.

My band's singer and I self-produced 2 demo songs for our band and we're still learning how to get around to get a good sound with a small budget. from the structure of the song, the arrangement, mixing & etc.

Considering we actually did the drum recording in school as part of our assignment i'd say drum tracking took about 3 hours (inclusive of setting up and tearing down) That comes down to what, average about 3 x $80~$100 = approx. $300. Vocals was done at my place using an AT2020 *cheap condenser microphone*, while bass & guitar were both D/I (MBox 2) and sent through IK Multimedia's Ampeg SVX & Guitar Rig 3 respectively. The rest were sequenced using Logic Pro 8. And yes, there is cost incurred for buying the software plug-ins ;).

So probably total cost in terms of recording studio hours would be like around 3 + 2 + 2 + 3 hours NOT inclusive of engineer's mixing fee *some go by song, some go by studio hours used* so you can probably do your own calculation, it's roughly around the price what Roland mentioned at the start of the thread.

www.myspace.com/madhattersg

Please do check out our 2 songs and give us your feedback regarding anything from the music and especially the mix. We need to learn!

Hypnotize mix done by me & Cheap Thrills mix done by the singer Riza Hamizan

just want to add my comments on this.
I think while we focus on how long you should really spend on recording studio. please do spare a thought on how prepare are you when you're in the studio. :)
most of the time bands actually wasted their time in studio because they wanted to do everything fast but not right. always remember the thumbs of rules.... SHIT IN, SHIT OUT....
if you think you recorded shit, NO PLUG IN can make your SHIT turn into FOOD. unless you love your shit. ;)
Mixing music is not performing magic.... mixing is sweetening.... just like coffee... bad coffee would never be nice not matter how much sugar you pour into it but good coffee would taste very very nice with a little sweetening.;) IMHO

Last edited:
=kanzer

i think it's not just the term professionally recorded. As a producer and sound engineer i am being hired for my musical taste and input. I only do a couple of genres ( rock pop metal hardcore metalcore , indie ,pop punk etc )but am being constantly hired by bands of those genres.

Back