audigy digital entertainment

input_output

anybody knows how to hook up instruments/mike to asign to diff tracks to multitrack? (currently sithout mixer/preamp)

Intrument to line-in.

Mike to mic-in. (but quite noisy)

You´ll assign the track to record the approriate instrument/mic using your sequencing/recording program.

jk

thanks for the reply.

are the behringer stuffs really good?

lookin for a 4channel affordable mixer.

the cheaper the better.

Sorry I have no idea/experience with Behringer stuff.

But I suppose in this day and age, it cannot sound so bad that it´s unsable.

So the bottom line is that cheap is never good, good is never cheap. But cheap should be usable.

jk

Other mixer brands with your requirements would be:

1) Midiman (www.sinamex.com)
2) Boss Mixers (at swee lee)

There someone on the main page who selling a Behringer mixer. You could try him/her too.

jk

i went to the sweelee website and found most stuffs to be way over my budget.. execpt for the Roland mx-5 is it any good?

.......... hi there, ive tried doin the assignin thing on sonar. but cant get it to work right.

the mic is okay but the line in has the bleeds from the mic input...

currently my stand alone mic is usin te soundcards preamp.

mic----mic in

guitar---multifx board---line in

have i got it right so far?

In the task bar, there´s the volume control.

Double click on that and then click on option.

Then goto Properties|Recording

Make sure that box on What U Hear is ticked.

Then when you are look at the recording panel. Make sure What U hear is muted.

Choose only mic or Line in to record 1 part at a time so that there is minimal leak.

Hopes this helps.

jk

You can record simultaneously but in the example given there will most be a leakage of signals.

If you were to record a drum machine and your vocals simultanouesly (rap!), then leakgae is unlikely to occur.

Speaking from experience, I was tempted when i found out that leakage was really bad to find out if i could use 2 soundcards on board and software filter them such that one would do the recording and the other would do the playback.

this failed miserably, because

a) the new soundcard was really cheap $20 buckos, snr was the pits

b) Various conflicts between the soundblaster ( damn thing takes 2 irqs )
c) I didn´t have the moolah to buy anything else

So , my adivice is : life sucks .....

Hi I/O,

PC´s are nutz, not to blame life!!

I´m using Sonar as well. Every soundcard is different, funny why your´s leak. Well, you can record with one mic both the guitar and your singing at the same time, and balance the volume btw these two externally .This may be better than the line in/mic in connection you´ll using, since leakage actually adds body to the recording, though there´s little manipulation after that. There´s one other way that cuts out the need for preamp and mixer which i´m using. Get a MIDI interface. These have 8 audio ins and 4 audio outs on average, more than enuff for you to do what you need to do. They are connected via an interface to the soundcard(Need to upgrade?) and they aren´t that costly anyway(got to do a bit of searching though).

Connecting 2 soundcards is a bummer, Windows often have conflicts when that happens, and pops and clicks might result. Some try it though. Using one soundcard for playback and the better one for recording.

I have tried listening the the Beringher 802. The moment I turned up volume on one channel to about 12 oclock and the main volume, noise creeps in. Dont think you would want that in your recordings

Try the yamaha MG10/2 which I am using now.....very quiet....but only disadvantage is that its quite inconvenient for overdubbing....I think the sound is just as good or if not better that the soundcraft folio notepad...only much cheaper.

For the price, I would prefer the yamaha...let me know if you are interested....I may be want to let go....only about a month old to get the MG12/4

Another way is to get a separate mic pre-amp, then hook up your output from this pre-amp to the LINE IN of your soundcard. It makes for a cleaner mic input this way. The MIC IN of the soundcard uses low quality pre-amp and thus, you get a lot of noise from it!

Another advantage using a separate mic pre-amp is that some of these pre-amps also comes with "phantom power" that allows you to even use prosumer condenser mics.

QF

Back