ASIO overload problem with Cubase 6.5

Likui

Hello
When recording I experience ASIO overload. I don't know what might be the problem.
I've got 4 audio tracks, 1 vst track using steven slate drums. Buffer set to 512 samples so will have about 8ms for latency. Even if I set it at 4096 samples it will still overload but not as much, but it's impossible to record at 4096 samples because of lag.
I'm using laptop, the specs is intel i7 2860QM 2.5ghz, 8 GB RAM
my hard disk is http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_momentus_750gb_review_st9750420as
audio interface is Steinberg UR28M.

I didn't have this problem when I was doing my stuff about a year ago. I don't know why it's like that now.
I tried to defrag the com, but also same problem, I also tried to uninstall the UR 28M driver and reinstall but still same problem
Is there a way to solve the problem?

Thanks
Matthew

Is your laptop dedicated to DAW (no other software on the laptop other than Cubase and other DAW related software)? That could be achieved via dual booting. If not, the other software could be the issue. Your Windows background task is piling up and your registry is getting populated.

I've got other stuff on my laptop also. I've got some other applications running also but those are really light application doesn't take up much RAM or CPU, when I check my performance while running Cubase the total RAM usage is about 4GB, the CPU % is about 20-30+%

Actually, you can run at a lower buffer. You just need to experiment to find the right balance. 4096 samples is a little high.

If this happened recently (ie you were running high buffer without problems before), then it's your system. Even though CPU and RAM usage may on the average by ok, it may peak which causes your problem. With the specs of your laptop, you should not be encountering any issues.

2 possible solutions.

1. Attempt to optimize your laptop.
(a) Disable Windows Startup Programs. run MSconfig from Start. Under Startup tag, disable all startup items except the key programs. I usually disable almost everything. If you're on Win 8, you'll need to go into Task Manager and go to the Start-up tag.
(b) Clean your registry. The safest way to do this properly is a free software called JVPowertools. Google it and download the free lite version. The paid version has other functionalities like searching for orphaned software you may have uninstalled ages ago but left some stuff around in your HD. It also does other nifty stuff like compressing your registry (which a defragmenter will not do).
(c) Make sure you have all the latest drivers.
(d) Only then, do you defragment your drive.
(e) Deep registry cleaning. Do this only if you know what you are doing. If not, don't mess with it too much. Run Regedit under Start. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENT VERSION/RUN. This may show some things that are booted on startup that may not show on your MSconfig. If you are VERY CERTAIN, you may delete those things you don't want to load during startup. Also, go into HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENT VERSION/RUN. You'll see more there. Do this at your own risk!

This is not the best way. One of the heaviest background software is the antivirus software which you probably don't want to uninstall. The only way around this is to do a dual boot. That means you'll need to purchase another original copy of Windows, partition your HD, then install that Windows in the new partition. When you boot up, your laptop will prompt you which boot partition you'll like to boot into. In that boot partition, install only Cubase and your DAW apps. You don't need an antivirus because you won't be using the internet much when doing DAW work. This will ensure the fastest system. I highly recommend this. Any other solutions is a stop-gap.

I was thinking of this, change my hard disk to a Solid state drive, then get an external USB 3.0 harddisk. So I can store all my important stuff like Cubase and premiere on the SSD and those like music and other misc stuff I put on my external hard disk. Probably will work right??
also thinking of getting windows 8, so far how is it? I'm not sure, I've been using windows 7

Windows 8 has slight performance edge over Windows 7, but you need to watch for the availability of drivers. There are reports that a number of audio drivers are not working yet under Windows 8.

The installation of your key DAW programs should be in the internal HD, not external. External HD is for storage of samples, your working audio files etc.

Please let us know if your situation has improved after optimization.

Sorry to hear that. Dual boot is going to be the solution. I presumed you have already experimented with various buffer settings.

Last try before the dual boot method. Turn off antivirus. Turn off wifi. Turn off bluetooth. Make sure you have nothing running in the background. Run Cubase again.

like that I think I try reformat my com 1st, need to save up for solid state drive also, I plan to get 500GB SSD

Although SSD performs better than standard HDs, HDs is more than sufficient for DAW needs. I would say go for SSD if you have the money. Otherwise, I'm not sure the price justifies it. Unless, of course, you are talking about need for ultra-high performance. I would save that money for other things, like plugins or samples.

My usual troubleshoot list -
if DAW problem - test cubase / test reaper / test others, if it's only in the DAW you're using means something is wrong with the software or the configuration. try deleting all the .peak image files let it reload/reconstruct.

if still cannot maybe Latency problem - play with buffer settings, disable everything. wireless especially. disable any fancy looks for performance etc. don't plug in anything. keep it minimal both hardware/software as some apps may interfere.

if still cannot maybe drivers problem - try updating.

if still cannot means OS Problem - defrag/trim etc. system page file whatever.

if still cannot - last resort - reinstall.

if still cannot - replace hardware parts/get new pc

if still cannot - go to your nearest house of worship depending on your religion, pray for better luck.

Back