Arturia's Origin Keyboard Finally Shipping

Cheez

Finally after many years, the Arturia's Origin keyboard is finally shipping. Hybrid of Moog, Sequential, ARP, Roland analog synths.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/blogs...20/arturia-announces-origin-keyboard-shipping

Origin_full1.jpg

Since Revolution deals with Arturia plugins, they may bring these units in.

I do have a few qualms about the design.

1. Actually, all the controls on the flip cover can fit onto the keyboard without the flip cover. Hence the cover is only a "wow" factor. While it's nice to have a flip open control (in terms of "coolness"), the question is how ergonomic is it. To control real-time, the other hand now has to move a slightly longer distance than if the controls were on the standard position (above the keys). Sometimes (if the controls are not too far away from my hands), I can have both my hands playing (or sustaining) and stretching my fingers to reach for nearby controls (faders or knobs) at the same time my fingers are ON the keys. Now it seems impossible.

2. The flip open cover also means that the Origin cannot fit on the second tier of a 2-tier keyboard stand. It has to be either by itself or on the top tier.

3. Lastly, as with all electronics with movable parts, my question would be how long would the cover last before contact in the hinge starts to get problems through wear and tear? Will the hinge break if the cover is bent too much backwards (either accidentally or during playing when too much pressure is applied onto the cover)?

These are just some questions. Only way to answer is to get our hands on the keyboard itself to have a feel.

Back