Application of Inversions

Other genre is bossa. Put sharp and flat of 9,11,13 all over place.

So that's all there is to it!

If that's all there was to it, we'd all be playing fluently in the various jazz idioms!!

In reality, there are no short cuts to becoming good at something (granted though, good tuition can save years of unlearning). I make my students very much aware of that when they start lessons - that if they wish to become good at the piano, they can expect at the very least 5 years of hard work.

To the thread starter - if you ever hear someone saying they will be able to teach you jazz (or whatever) in a few lessons, then stay well back. It's a long process in learning anything, and any short cut you take is something you'll have to go back over in the future anyway.

As an aside - Kongwee - you mentioned some jazz dominant chords - when I was writing the jazz threads, i'm sure I forgot to mention the commonly used 13 shape - just play root and b7 in the LH, and play a minor chord a tone above in the RH.

i.e. C13 would be C and Bb in LH, and a Dm in the RH.

George Shearing uses this voicing a lot. It's very warm.

-Edit- I just noticed you were meaning # and b versions of the extensions. Ah well, the one above is worth knowing anyway as a starter for ten ;)

Last edited:
pianomankris- I know that jazz playing, the Left Hand play the root and the interval of seven is been played. I will train that when I have the time. The challenge part which note to used when you see single or double sharp and flat on the colour (9/11/13) chord. What you right hand should be picking? I know know the 3rd interval of the basic triad is first to pick, and the second is the seventh interval along the alter colour notes . Also the spacing of note is important. But there is too much processing power to handle.:confused:

Ok I try to write proper English.:mrgreen:

Back