Anyone practice wingchun here?

redhat

hi guys, would like to ask if anyone of you practice wingchun here? can share yr experience with this martial art here?

Personally, and not to be hating on any martial arts style, I can think of many other martial arts I'd rather take up before Wing Chun. The reason is because of the thing that has come to be known as MMA. While wing chun would work against an average joe in a bar room brawl, I don't see it as having any use in a competitive aspect. The only guy who i know who does wing chun in MMA is shawn obasi, and he sucks major ass. Sometimes you have to be wary of martial artists trying to sell you the idea that their style is the best above all, because if you put them toe to toe with another fighter, who'll really come up top? Plus I like the idea that MMA incorporates a lot of weight training and cardio training, which some martial arts neglect, focusing too much on the cultural aspect. Again, I'm rushing as I type this, it doesn't mean some martial arts don't work, they do if you put enough effort into anything.

deathcubek obviously don't know anything about wing chun. bruce lee, 1 of the best fighters pound for pound, was schooled in wing chun and it was his foundation though he created his own fighting style later. and ip man is no fictional movie character, he was a real martial artist who took the martial arts world by storm with the fighting style he created - wing chun.

Wing Chun like most TRADITIONAL martial arts, is good for the basics. Bruce Lee did Wing Chun BUT he went on to develop Jeet Kun Do etc. because he saw the shortcomings in terms of it as a combat sport.

For spiritual benefits, traditional arts is good but in real life situation, the knowledge of other arts like Wrestling - ground game - JiuJitSu - submission - & a stand-up game is crucial.

There is another Samoan, Fofoe, he teaches Wing Chun& is pretty much in demand, here in Singapore.

Martial Arts& Combat Sports are 2 different ball games.

Sorry about my original post, I was kinda rushing to type it, missed a lot of points, I'll answer some now.

deathcubek obviously don't know anything about wing chun. bruce lee, 1 of the best fighters pound for pound, was schooled in wing chun and it was his foundation though he created his own fighting style later. and ip man is no fictional movie character, he was a real martial artist who took the martial arts world by storm with the fighting style he created - wing chun.

Bruce Lee was not one of the best few fighters P4P as you claim. Do you know how P4P rankings are even decided? He did learn wing chun when he was growing up, it was his foundation martial arts. But he chose to develop Jeet Kune Do, and in his own words, the reason was because he felt that Wing Chun was lacking in certain areas, in terms of fighting range. So Ip Man took the world by storm? Did he also fight against the hundred fighters like he did in Ip Man 2? Cool. I'm sure there's also a fighter called Twister right? That's pretty funny how you take a semi-biographical film and make it to be 100% accurate.

Kimura knows his stuff, and I've always agreed with his points. I'm not attacking Wing Chun, I feel that all martial arts have their shortcomings and strengths. Even Shawn Obasi has said that many Wing Chun practitioners are 'living in their own world' and believe that they can take on better trained fighters just because they are THAT into their martial art. The reason I brought up MMA, is because I personally believe that it covers many aspects of fighting with the training in things like boxing, muay thai, brazilian jujitsu and wrestling. But MMA is a combat sport, and who would win really, in a street fight between a guy trained in muay thai and a guy trained in krav maga? They are totally different in their goals.

There are tonnes of McDojos in the world, don't fall a victim to them. Martial arts have evolved so much ever since things like Vale Tudo and Ultimate Fighting have come about. If you love Wing Chun, then by all means go and embrace it, heck, you could probably kick my ass in a fight. But don't join it because you think that it's some miracle solve-it-all martial arts that will make you unbeatable by anyone.

Once again, not insulting any martial arts.

just a point to note, this thread is asking "anyone practice wingchun here?" and the TS goes on to elaborate that he is interested in know the experience of people who have practiced it.

my opinion about mma is that, regardless of what ever they've learnt. it always looks to me as if its purely street fighting. pardon me, i haven't watched too many mma episodes, but those i have seemed to look like street fighting.
go ahead and provoke some guy on the street, i'm pretty sure most would fight similar to mma, apart from the grapling...

and i was just showing the video to highlight the facepalming prowess, not trying to justify that wingchun is the best or anything.
peaceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

trust me dude, street brawlers wouldn't usually last 1 round in an MMA fight with a skilled individual. When you're taken down and have to grapple your way out of a fight, you'll understand this. I personally don't believe in martial arts that only emphasize on the stand up aspect of fighting. Even a street brawler will not have the technicality in terms of striking as that of an MMA fighter, who is usually well trained in boxing or muay thai, 2 forms of fighting that really requires more technique than just throwing haymakers.

yeah, wing chun may save you from strikes, but a take down,a little ground and pound, maybe its over...

Back