Anyone own a focusrite saffire pro 40?

grarrgrarr

Hello all, I currently own a firebox and now I require more inputs. After doing a search, it appears that the saffire pro 40 is the best upgrade choice for me. 8 mic pres, daisy chainable up to 2 units, and ADAT i/o so I can perhaps get a behringer ADA8000 (if they still sell those).

I suppose the max mic pre with this would be 32, 2x saffire and 2x ada8000 ? That sounds like good expandability. I dont want to feel the pinch of wasted gear in future like my current case where my firebox is not expandable. Especially when im starting to spend more money on more expensive gear.

I intend to use it with my Desktop (TI chipset - no problem) and Laptop (Ricoh chipset), after google + an email to focusrite, it appears that some people had success with laptop Ricoh chipsets albeit requiring slightly higher latencies than TI / VIA. This is not important as I do not do any live monitoring on my laptop.

I have read some comments on the internet regarding DICE II chipset devices being plagued with driver problems / firewire instability and incompatibilities. Read a random comment somewhere stating that Focusrite has really bad drivers.

My main worry is that with the driver / DICE II complaints I might get occasional static / clicking or total interface hang when recording / playing. I sometimes get this problem with my firebox when it is being strained by recording with all its inputs simultaneously, or playing back a project which has many tracks. My PC is an i7 with 4GB ram and TI chipset, so the issue is probably not my computer itself.

Anybody with personal experience can comment?

btw:
Ive looked through the list of famous brands and their interfaces and it appears that this has the best feature list at a very good price. If anyone reading this has a better interface with this kind of features at a better price (i dont mind crappier converters / pres), feel free to sound out!

Back