Anyone knows where to go for a custom bass builder?

Keefeology

Likewise from the title. I am looking for a custom bass builder as I want to start on my bass project... Anyone has any lobangs that I can try out? :)

@fretless6 I guess around 400-500 for the body and neck. The pups I will come up with myself. I was thinking of trying to replicate a Status bass kind of feel by using 2 barts soap bars.

@j.custom Thanks man! :)

honestly with a sub 1K budget, you're better off getting a good used bass. Just remember that custom doesn't always mean quality. Esp when it's low budget customs. They're generally worse off than production models of the same price range.

Looking at your budget, you might wanna order a body+neck from warmoth, should fit your sub 1k budget.

=fretless6

Heard that from you before. :) But with a 400-500 budget for a production bass as a compared to a 400-500 bass body makes a lot of difference in my opinion. With the pups itselves it'll cost 1k+. But thanks for the advice. I'm taking an advice from someone else too. I'm only looking out for custom bass builders for the shape itself for some aesthetic purposes.

@J.Custom I'm looking to make my own bass body dude. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said to buy a $400-500 bass. Adding in ur pickup budget, totals to $1K+, as u said urself. Ur looking at a used instrument of $1K+. Which means buying a $2K+ production bass. That's far from a $400-500 bass.

=Keefeology

u want funky bass body only shape and thats yer budget? than go for some china luthier maybe can get bass body only or some indonesia luthier. but dun expect the quality of wood, finishing and craftmanship to be the same as those factory production type. i asked b4 and i got a quote for neck + body from a china luthier years ago its around SGD$1k and need to send him the CAD design as well and some other crap, so i save all the trouble and get me warwick instead.

and than u can fit in all the expensive barts, pre-amps, etc..etc..

=lordie

Unfortunately yes. I can make do with it. I can make do in terms of quality as long as it's playable during gigs and deliver slightly different tones. It's not like I'm going for a world tour or anything. Add on to your question, no. I'm not looking to make a super funky shape that looks like shit when it's over emphasized. It's something special that is simple at the same time.

@fretless6 Huh? I don't get you. So now you say a $2k production bass is equivalent to a $1k custom made bass or was it the other way round?

I mean buying a used production bass with ur $1k+ budget. Which should net u a production bass that's worth around $2k new. I have seen lower budget custom basses which are so poorly built that's barely even playable. Unstable necks, glue seeping out of joints, sharp fret ends that stick out of the fingerboard, misaligned bridges and crappy hardware. Even squires are better off.

=fretless6

Oh, noted. Actually I'm looking for a production bass that has similar body shape and then I'll mod from there. Since I'm changing the pickups anyway.

Yah that's a better choice. Not only are u more likely to get a better instrument, u can try it out first likely ordering a custom. Plus ull probably get better resale value down this route too.

Back