Anyone know much about old Fender Strats?

dnnypwnsyou

i have a few pictures here of an old strat i have, i was wondering if any of you could provide me with the year it was made in, the price it would go for now, and as much info on it as possible because i have very limited knowledge on these old guitars. by far all the info i've gathered, like the patent number (3,143,028) and another number 3350496 on the metal plate on the back, i couldnt get the jist of what i found online. was hoping maybe some people out there could help me out on this, i would really appreciate the help!

this is one of the sites i tried to use to figure out stuff but didnt work for me. ;\
http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html#serial

based off the decal and string trees, I would say between late 1972 and early 1976. steering more towards 1976 because of the black pickguard, covers and knobs. if so, it might be quite a rare example but no where near collectable status.

I have no idea whether the finish has been touched up before but you can see traces of a kahler type locking nut being installed onto the neck.

The pickguard might be original but black pickguards do not appear on custom colour black Fender strats. they only appeared on Mocha Brown strats until around 75 or 76. if this guitar dates before 75, the original pickguard should be white. Before 76, the original guard could be black but the knobs and covers would be white. this transition was a slow process.

taking off the neck should reveal the year of production to you.

I need a clearer shot of the neck plate if you want more help.

Based on what I see now, you have a 70s strat with a slight modification to the neck but everything else is original, it should be around the $2000+ range but that also depends on the market demand.

a good old Fender by all means. it should sound good.

thanks! well if im not wrong the serial is supposed to be engraved on the neck plate right, but in this case it isnt, its blank.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks! well if im not wrong the serial is supposed to be engraved on the neck plate right, but in this case it isnt, its blank.

2 possibilities.

1: the original plate has been replaced to a MIJ reissue plate.

2: the neck has been replaced on the current body which belongs to a late 76.

why I say that?

pre 76 all serial numbers would be on the plate itself. post 76, the serial number would be on the headstock decal. I can't confirm anything at this point unless you take off the body, neck and pickguard.

in any case, I would be more familiar with pre cbs strats. I don't deal with cbs strats very often but I know enough about them.

Back