any pick playas here?

everything said would be in your own opinions i guess. as for you, you probably don't have the picking technique. when your friend said picking is louder, he might've been pointing in the direction of punk style bass picking where you just whack at the strings *ouch*

as for clarity, picking can bring out tones that fingerstyle cannot, and vice versa

well fender rules..not rilli..tho i admit i juz love the sound of finger picking..

it kinda depends on the situation..the type of song that is played.

the sound u get from using a pick..depends on ur amp too..and where u pick..the closer u pick to the neck..the louder and bassier ur sound..well..i juz dunno how to describe.

try picking near the bridge and try again near the neck..u'll see..i mean..hear the difference.. :wink:

CrispyEgg said:
everything said would be in your own opinions i guess. as for you, you probably don't have the picking technique. when your friend said picking is louder, he might've been pointing in the direction of punk style bass picking where you just whack at the strings *ouch*

as for clarity, picking can bring out tones that fingerstyle cannot, and vice versa

true....im a guitarist, and ive only been playing bass for a year or so. too much on guitar. my picking technique is fairly good, but still needs alot of improvement as my stamina in my right hand is short at the moment and affects my playing a whole lot.

yes, i also tend to notice that bassists in the punk genre whack the strings aimlessly *double ouch* which is why i prefer finger picking, smooth and warm. bassy and mmmm so tasty. :lol:

but gotta agree about the clarity. you cant just get all tones out with just finegrpicking.

i just found something in between fingerstyle and picking... fingernail picking... yes... the black stuff is disgusting... but youd be able to get pick tones with fingerstyle precision... really cool stuff

probably theyd be better at managing their nails than i would... so i think that they wouldn't freak out... all the manicures... GAH!

Speaking of which i have my own problem using a pick... After like 5 mins of playing with a pick, my thumb joint sorta jams up, causing me to loose control of my picking hand of sorts and me dropping the pick... I think it might be due to double-jointedness or something along that line but i just wanna clarify. Also can someone please give me a solution?

Plzkthxbai! :)

CrispyEgg said:
punk style bass picking where you just whack at the strings *ouch*

since when do we punk bassists just whack at the strings? :roll:

slash04: just play with the pick more often XD you'll get used to it

chester277 said:
slash04: just play with the pick more often XD you'll get used to it

I've been playing for 3 years. And i started out on the pick after i went from my guitar to bass tansition. It's just an on going problem that i could never be bothered to resolve until i realised what i mightbe missing if i can't play with a pick normally.. : /

Slash04 said:
Speaking of which i have my own problem using a pick... After like 5 mins of playing with a pick, my thumb joint sorta jams up, causing me to loose control of my picking hand of sorts and me dropping the pick... I think it might be due to double-jointedness or something along that line but i just wanna clarify. Also can someone please give me a solution?

you are too tensed ... relax when you practice lah dude ... enjoy your practice ... don't grip your pick so hard .. not too soft either ...

exin said:
Slash04 said:

you are too tensed ... relax when you practice lah dude ... enjoy your practice ... don't grip your pick so hard .. not too soft either ...

Hmm.. I'll try that.. Thanks! :)

lol i grip my pick hard so as to emphasize the pick attack sound :D

but no thumb pain :p

imo, i think using a pick is just the most un-elegant way of playing bass.

dont fall into the rut of us guitar players !!! bad bad.

cold_static544 said:
imo, i think using a pick is just the most un-elegant way of playing bass.

dont fall into the rut of us guitar players !!! bad bad.

be versatile,can do pick and can do fingerstyle,actually,picking is more difficult to me,to get that bottom sound with a pick and to get a constant attack when you root on a single note,takes lots2 practice
and i have to disagree with you,playing with pick got that 'cool' element to me,brings out the sexyness,hahaha,each to his own yeah

Each to his own. It would be even better if one learns both styles, to add versatility to one's own sound.

Back