Any classic rock fans from NUS?

Eh? You went for OMS? o_O
You seem familiar...

As a frequent member, I can safely say its hard to satisfy everyone. I'm an Indie Alternate Rock person myself, not really a mainstream person.
If you asked every single member, you'll find that their individual tastes in music differ greatly - there are those who play classic hard rock, some are into indie, some starts playing funk as soon as you give them the guitar etc. Heck, even some prefer J-Rock.

However, we pride ourselves to be different from other music societies *cough*Guitar Club*cough* for a few reasons:

1) We give members the chance to experiment and improvise. We don't force upon a certain genre upon our members, and it is up to the members what they feel like jamming on that day. They may come with certain songs to prepare, or they improvise on the spot with whatever abilities they have.
Perhaps today wasn't as great, because the number of members that came to jam were kinda few. Guess everyone's busy with handing in assignments, but that is how it is. The members who come determine how they wish to progress the improvisation-jams.

2) We are quite well connected with the Indie Scene. We constantly do a lot of reviews and interviews with local bands. Our main objective is to push the Music Scene in Singapore and allow it to flourish. You can check out our website for some of the activities that we do.
However, we always seem to lack the manpower and resources to do more. That's why we're always looking out for members who are keen to promote the music scene. You came today, and if you're interested to find out more, you can always approach any one of us. We do more than just improvisation-jammings-on-the-spot.

And besides, if you think we're too mainstream, than what about the *cough*hall bands*cough* or other music societies? Most are only interested in covering other author's works and having fun jamming. (Curse you, NUSSU!)

Which brings me to my third point

3) We try to promote our members to form stable bands and start writing songs. We're not called the Original Music Society for no reason. We try to push our musicians to help make the scene alive by writing their own songs and performing it. However, its difficult as they have their own inertia, all the same =/
Furthermore, OMS is not just for the musicians - its also for the people who are interested in the music scene. We do have a press team and a publicity team who tries to keep NUS updated with the latest happenings around campus and even around Singapore. But, we need members like you to keep helping us. Have a passion for writing articles, or good with design? Wish to promote the music scene? If you have both, then we need you to help us

You've got to come into OMS with an open mind. We can't satisfy everyone because of the various music tastes, but we try our best to accommodate everyone. We accept all, regardless of age, genre, skills, and even non-musicians as well. We come, and not only do we jam the night away, we learn from each other and help each other.

Which reminds me. We'll be playing one last show for Ocktoberfest at KR50 this Friday, and a couple weeks time, we'll be playing at Munchie Monkey at night. Do come down and just chill out with us, and get to know OMS better. You'll be surprised at how much we've planned out, but sorely lack people to help us.

Well i'm guessing the guitar club guys are more into classic rock..

but yea lets not make any generalizing comments about OMS or other ccas

Back