alternatives

emphibian

hello.

l_4ff4a9da1e1d48979a3d60e3d1519a86.jpg

project synopsis

when we talk about music in general, unanimously, we can all agree that, as a fact, music has changed over the years. from breaking new boundaries in European Classical music to the conception of Jazz, be it Punk, Rock, Electronic music, to the popularization of these musical forms in their era or otherwise, they do not sound exactly the same as how they once began.

take for instance Jazz, in a period of over 40 years, development in Jazz music went from Swing to Bebop to Free Jazz. and i would like to take this opportunity to reflect on the past 40 years of economic progress and development Singapore has been through.

my question and interest is, why hasn't any musical progress happened in our 40 years aside from adapting and portraying mere influences through music?

this project addresses a form of musical stasis found in globalized / modern asia, particularly Singapore.

presently, i am still working on several music systems. and i feel that for most of it, as an experiment it will never be complete without being thoroughly practical about it. and the week to happen at The Substation Gallery, is the time and place where i would like to introduce and have these systems tested out.

you are invited to attend dialogues / workshops and live recording sessions at The Substation Gallery with other musicians / artists and thinkers.

the philosophy

when coming on board for this week-long happening, understand that genres only continue to dissect and compartmentalize music further. that genres are a byproduct of music. only important to identify its form. i seek for us to come together and see that the form presently does not exist. that this form will naturally shape itself by our community, performers and audiences alike.

see that music on its own is a byproduct of sound or no-sound. that music's construct is created within a timeframe. music is not about and does not consist of a mistake or a non-mistake as those are rules and terms only created by us very interesting humans.

if you are interested to participate in the live recording session which will be developed through improvisation, you are invited to bring your own music instrument and record alongside other musicians.

Please register with Mish’aal by emailing to him at mishaal@substation.org

Venue : The Substation Gallery
Period : 10th - 16th January 2011
Time : 2pm - 9pm
Admission is FREE.

thank you and hope to see you at the Gallery.
better days ahead.

alternatives / schedules

hello again.

the week's finally here. and here's the line up of participating musicians / artists.

l_f5275593ecaf4e9e95ceb98de6c112de.jpg

l_467b14f0094f4b50855870fb2338deea.jpg

see you at the Gallery.
better days ahead.

Last edited:
it was an awesome and amazing experience! i cant wait for the next one! i would love to come down and play for the improv! MORE OF THIS PLS!

CHEERS

Latest posts

Back