Altering cymbals

joshie

Hm i heard of people of other countries altering cymbals. like cutting out the crack parts of the cymbal to make it smaller thus playable. anyone offering such services?

Yeah, if only there were someone local...

Johan Van De Sijpe, like Robert Spizzichino, is one of only a handful of individual cymbal artisans in the world.
Drummers all over the world send him cymbals to modify and rework.

I was stunned from listening to the ZBT ride he reworked, amazing.

You can check out his work in this thread too.

Do check out the articles here on cymbalholic.com as well, a new series on the Art of Cymbalmaking, written by Mike Skiba.
Very interesting for anyone who doesn't think their cymbal is just a piece of metal to be whacked :lol:

joshie said:
Hm i heard of people of other countries altering cymbals. like cutting out the crack parts of the cymbal to make it smaller thus playable. anyone offering such services?

Any metal enginerring company will able to do it but be prepared for the cost...

kahuna said:
wad does cymbal rivetin do?

It brings out the sizzling sound effect which is commonly used in jazz. The rivets are made of aluminium.

For rock, screws made of mild steel will bring out the rattling effect of the china cymbal... 8)

i own a pair of super old, cracked and louya CX-300 from my rhythm traveller. they really sound like sh*t, they're like tarnished and cracked at the edges.

im wondering if there is anything i can do to salvage this pair of lowly rated cymbals?

if not i dont see any use for them other than using them for practise with mutes on.

they're like...

*khang *khang *khang

!

Joshie......I am also looking for a CymbalMaster here in Singapore who can KNock-knock some of my cymbals.

Bosphorus has very good Rivets (I bought a pack of 8 each)...they are special rivets for Cymbals. Ask Drum_Hobbist.

Yeah Johan - had done many a good job for Drummers around the World...but it's expensive due to the Freight from Belgium to Singapore (I've check with him before liao)....I love his Ride & Trash especially.

Re--Hammering Cymbals is never easy, you must know how to do it (need anvil & hammer). you also might have to lather it before hammering (need a machine)....Riverting just punch hole and put rivets that's all.

yo RD..

just wondering, instead o me getting those rivets from bosphorus just like you mentioned, can i use intead normal nut and bolts?

just wondering, instead o me getting those rivets from bosphorus just like you mentioned, can i use intead normal nut and bolts?

From brightest to dark... nickel (stainless steel), brass, and copper. Depends on your desired sound. Hardware stores are a great place to get them...

Basically they all sound relatively the same except their pitch they resonate at. Standard nickel rivets are the highest pitched, used for most cut. Brass is very warm and still very sizzly, yet not quite as abrasive as nickel. Copper rivets are the darkest of the bunch.

I've only heard good things about the Bos rivets. Will try them soon. Bro RD, how much are they?

Btw, DT, you can also try those paper holders you can get at stationary stores. These are so light you can bend them by hand and they give a very light sizzle as well.

thanx bro, but i dont think i will want a light sounded sizzle...

wat i'm thinking is for a thrashy sound....
actuallie, i bought the original wuhan, the lion dance cymbal. from Drum_Hobbyist and awaiting to get from him back after he drill the holes...

you know how they sound like, so i'll be putting stainless steel bolt and nuts (managed to steal from my werkplace.. hahahah)

and i'm looking towerds the direction of a thrashy sound, but not really very thrashy ah.... if you know wat i mean

paper_box, if i have a picture of your hats and a proper look. i can probably change the sound of those hats from a khang to a chick. XD

Actually, i have the CX-300s also from my Pearl RT. Before I got my current hats, I used them. I actually found their sound pretty decent, and you can get a nice 'chick' outta them. The only real problem is the unresponsiveness due to the thickness. If these could be lathed down, they'll be quite killer I predict.

I almost sold them, but decided to keep them if I ever ever sell this RT.

ah, if its thick... what you should do is to hammer it down abit
slightly alter the thickness around the cymbal about hammer at approximately 8 spots in a shape of a star.
if you wanna make it darker sounding, you have to hammer in circles around the bell, and slowly spread around the cymbal making the circle bigger. untill you reach the desired sound.

DT, you can return those steel bolts and nuts, got those for you already. Will be working on the china in a day or two... :wink:

My personal opinion

Using Scre & Nuts - would not be good - cause it's heavier than the Cymbals Rivet. Due to this reason - your sizzling sound will shorten - that also means you have to drill more holes...not a good idea.

I myself use those (Brass Paper Clips) as sizzle before...this is my findings from my experience.

My Cymbal has 8 Rivet Holes....I have to insatll all 8 holes to get the sizzle sound and they are short-sustaining. REASON - because the Paper-Clip-Brass Clips are soft (the place where you bent them)...after inserting them onto the Rivet holes - they leave only a very small gap - and so the sizzling is not as effective as ACTUAL SIZZLE mean't for Cymbals...which is very hard (the rivets and space is provided where you can only bent them at a certain length)....

The difference between Genuine Bosphorus Sizzle & those Paper clips - are 2 Genuine Bosphorus Cymbal Sizzle sizzle much better than 8 Paper-Clips Sizzle...trust me I still have 11 sizzle (unsed from Bosphorus)...if you want it - I can give you 2pcs.

Back