Advise?

Hickey_

hi fellow softies. I've been playing bass for quite some time and im currently using a TGM bass. And i wanna ask which is more recommended.

1. I save up for 1 or 2 pedals like the compressor.
OR
2. I save up for a new bass.

Currently i have no problem with my TGM bass. But GAS kicks in. ):
Advises are greatly appreciated.

Cheers. :)

I agree. To me, the bass should be plugged straight into the amp without any effects. A good bass will give you great tone and feel, with enough flexibility for you to adjust your tone with it's onboard eq options. Save up for a good bass and you'll want to play more.

Hello,

To me you should really get a better bass. Not that I'm up selling anything here, a better sounding bass will definitely make you wanna practise more cos it sounds and feels better. I use bass effects at most of my shows but that's just the icing on the cake. A good bass lays down the tone and keeps the band tight, especially in a 3pc band.

Cheers,
Bird

Getting a better bass would indeed be the better choice. I also started off with a TGM bass. As for pedals, not really necessary... but if you want, get multi-efx pedals and move to single pedals. Single pedals will burn a hole in your pockets. :mrgreen:

i'd say skip the multi fx altogether. if you get one with the intention of dumping it for single pedals eventually, then it will still be a waste of money.

do not buy any pedals. just keep playing music. broaden your musical base and sooner or later you will need an effect.

if you don't, spend money on your bass and (depending on your own needs) your rig instead.

too many bass players use crappy basses and amps, and then get carried away into the world of effects. they can't even get a good base (not BASS) tone, and then use a multitude of effects to mask the tone of the bass, which defeats the whole purpose of spending money on bass gear in the first place.

no matter how hard you try, at the end of the day your tone boils down to your bass.

there's no need for a compressor either. again, introducing compression too early is pointless because compression is an effect that is more difficult to appreciate. there is a tendency to use too much compression and as such you will not appreciate the use of picking dynamics in your technique

Back