advice regarding Berklee / studying music

cosmicity

Hi all, I'm 20 this year and have been accepted into Berklee college of music for next year's admission. Thing is, I've googled much more about Berklee over the past few days and after reading some scathing (yes, really) reviews of the place, I am very much worried about my prospects.

Amongst the things I've read about was how arrogant the teachers and students can be, and how the place can be debilitative rather than nurturing. Also, despite touting themselves as a "contemporary" music college which prides itself in its students' diversity, I have read that the school is still rigid and narrow-minded in its approach, clearly favouring genres such as jazz, latin, and funk.

Perhaps it is of note that my worries may stem from the fact that I have never studied music as a subject in school before. I am passionate about music, but having been a science student all along, the thought of majoring in a music-related subject has in recent days been more parts terrifying than thrilling, what more after coming across such negativity. In short: Will the leap to acquiring a music degree be worth it?

For those who have yet to enter Berklee or have graduated, may I know if what has been said is true? Also, any input or advice regarding majoring in music, the relevance of such courses, making it in the music industry.....or anything in general will be duly appreciated.

Thank you for your time! :)

First of all, to be in a music school, you need to have a thick skin. You are not on this world to live up to anyone's expectations, and neither are the teachers. They can be as arrogant (or NOT, as is more common) as they want, but as long as they teach you, it's worth it.

There is an incredible amount of knowledge and experience to be had in this school, and anyone who tells you otherwise probably just didn't dig enough. You can develop personal relationships with your professors and get help outside of class time, and most of them are very generous and very knowledgeable about the subjects they teach.

Of course, it goes without saying that if you are an unremarkable musician, no one's going to pay any attention in particular to you, especially when the environment is full of amazing talent. So you have to work really hard and stand out from the crowd if you want to get the best experience, no one's going to carry you along, you have to do that yourself.

By the way, "contemporary music" in the Berklee sense refers to the many genres of popular music, and has nothing to do with contemporary classical composition, so the genres you mentioned are indeed the focus of this school as far as performance and arrangement are concerned. (There is, however, an excellent composition (classical) department where you can learn other things if these genres do not appeal to you)

Also, the reason they focus on the genres you mentioned is that those genres contain the most history and theoretical material for the study of the evolution and performance of popular music. If you are a pop player (I am a pop player, among other genres), you will greatly enrich your playing and writing ability if you know where pop music has come from to achieve the form it has today.

What is your name? I'm currently studying in Berklee, and when you come next year i'll be happy to tell you as many things about the school as you'd like to know.

Xiao'an

oh, piano not too sure, thot u play stringed instruments then i wldn't suggest berkley if that's the case

Hmm interested in this also, after years of persuasion, kinda got my parents to agree to send me there. But after reading what Xiao An said, feel somewhat intimidated, and not sure whether I'll be able to cut it or not..

Back