advice needed!

foxxylady

I just picked up bass recently (at the request of my bf, haha) and have played a few songs here and there.. but somehow something seems to be lacking.

Any advice on what songs would be good for beginners and how should I take my playing a step further? My aim would be to be a rock bassist. I'm a huge fan of classic rock and also a classically trained pianist so any "theory" lessons here are welcome. :D

you can start by playing christian music : )

quite easy for beginners. Then you can start your bass journey from there : )

howabout learning from bass tabs?

it'll give u chance to familiarise urself with the instrument, it wud also be a good idea to learn and memorise some of the notes on the fret board, it will help u read the tabs better, hope this helps.... =)

Umm.. Yeah I learn by reading tabs.. Just have to remember where the notes are on the board and learn to recognize the notes when I listen to songs.

Any specific songs/bands that I can use as a guide?

hi foxxylady, here are some songs, including the song recommended by reyrey:

Vindicated - Dashboard Confessionals
Here Without You - 3 Doors Down
Iris - The Goo Goo Dolls
Zombie - The Cranberries
Macy's Day Parade - Green Day, if u want u can also try

Sing For Absolution - Muse

have fun yea?

Thanks guys.. :lol:

So far.. I've done enter sandman, a couple of songs by the eagles, sweet child by gnr, time is running out by muse.. and a few others.. and phantom of the opera.. for fun. haha.

Try different genres of music as well. It'll definitely help. Each genre has its unique type of style and learning the different styles do help in your playing. I've learnt to play stuff from extreme metal to gospel to jazz. There are definitely challenges on all fronts. Timing is the most important thing. Hope you have lots of fun playing along.

If u are into classic rock, i recommend u some of gezzer work. Such as Paranoid, Heaven and Hell, Warpigs by Black Sabbath. Maybe abit of Deep Purple like Smoke on the Water, Black Night or Strombringer all got nice bassline. Tats all. Heheehe. Metallica is fun to play too. Example My Friend of Misery, For Whom the Bell Tolls or even Orion.

Saveee meeeee

Hey guys, I'm, new to the site and in dire need of device for guitar, an I know this is a Bass thread. Perhaps you could direct me where to start a thread or get some help? thanks xD

If you wanna start out easy, i would recommend some of muse songs... like starlight, time is running out, citizens erased, sing for absolution and stockholme syndrome. these are the songs i started out with and is easy to grasp the timing. haha so why not try itXD

Latest posts

Back