acoustic stimulator

matt-muser

i would want to play acoustic songs, so i was just wondering whether should i but a acoustic siimulator or a new acoustic guitar?

Last edited:
That depends on what type of songs are you playing? If you are playing the whole song acoustic then you should get a acoustic guitar. If you are only needed to play a part of a song in acoustic then get a stimulator.

stupid question , its obvious he made a spelling error there la , my god some people , anyway a simulator is a good start but you'll never get the full sound of an acoustic guitar with that , also it sounds funny with a strat , i have an ac - 2 . sounds better with my gibson les paul on . then again anything does

The most well known acoustic simulators on the market should be the behringer or the boss one as they are very common. Do weigh out the pros and cons before you make your decision. ;)

An acoustic simulator may be convenient, but do note that it can easily make your guitar sound "fake" if you ain't got the right settings. Its really just a simulation, so don't expect realistic acoustic tones out of it though. IMO, it sounds better with humbuckers than single coils, and also when you strum. When you pick, it just sounds "oh so fake".

Acoustic definitely has that vibe which the acoustic simulator is unable to bring across la.. Definitely sounds better than a simulator unless you've really got a lousy acoustic though. However, it can be quite inconvenient for some people as they might have to switch guitars during a show, plus transporting more than 1 guitar around can be troublesome. But if you're playing it at home then I don't see why you should not get an acoustic guitar to play acoustic songs though.

It's just like multi vs analog la, some like multi, some like analog, its all up to you actually. So, best is try both and see which works for you!

My 1cent worth though. :) Cheers!

stupid question , its obvious he made a spelling error there la , my god some people

Relax la, both posters typed stimulator, hence my post. Why so antagonistic? I'm just pointing out a mistake, imagine him going to a shop and asking for a stimulator, not so good right? :) So don't go around saying 'my god some people' like you're a class above 'some people'. (sorry for bringing this OT matt muser)

Anyway, my experience with acoustic simulators haven't been great (mostly from multifx units, not the boss one), cos it might be able to replicate some sounds from an acoustic to an extent but it cannot reproduce certain nuances and all those stuff you get from a real acoustic like what crozzfire said.

I suggest buying a new acoustic guitar! It's worth it, cos it's easy to bring around (then your acoustic playing won't be restricted by having to have an electricguitar, a simulator, and an amp around) and a decent one is not that expensive either (Yamaha FG series for one). If still too ex, then just get it second hand! :)

I've heard from many people that an acoustic simulator would give more realistic acoustic sounds if your electric guitar had piezo pickups AND if it was plugged into an acoustic amp or the PA, bypassing an electric guitar amp cause they aren't meant to reproduce good acoustic guitar sounds.

Try plugging in a real acoustic into an electric amp and you'll see what i mean! =)

I thought piezo then don't need acoustic simulator? just straight to PA?

You've got a point. I'm wondering abou that too.. Piezo can plug in direct to PA but that doesn't mean it cannot be pu through the same effects chain as an electric into an acoustic amp. The effects would work the same way, just that the original sound that goes into them is different.

I know piezo makes an electric sound closer more acoustic but not totally close to an acoustic guitar. Maybe that's where the acoustic simulator completes the job.

Like, since an acoustic simulator cannot do 100% of the work, split 50-50 with a piezo? No idea 'cause i've got no piezo equiped electric to test it out with. Maybe someone with one can clarify.

I think john petrucci blends his piezo in with his clean sounds so he gets a unique 'acoustic-ish' tone for his strumming. Not sure. never tried a piezo myself, haha.

Electric guitars built in piezos are built into the bidge of the guitar , just like john petrucci's EBMM. These piezos are just like the piezos found in accoustic electric guitars except its built into a full body electric guitar.

you know what would be really cool , acoustic siimulator used on an acoustic guitar , haha iim gonna try

I rather have a nice clean electric tone than a fake acoustic sound. a Boss CE-2 and carefully tweaked EQ pedal can make your electric sound better den any crappy COSM modelling processor in its heyday.

Back