A SOFT school?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a great idea.

Actually i was thinkin, since there would be profieciency tests, why don't certificates/recommendations be handed out to those who pass them? Music school style, write in to the big music schools out there and try get them to recognize it?

Lol i know it's a little far fetched but hey, if that happens, the road to Berklee/GIT etc would be accessible to more who dream to go there eh?

soft said:
These learning materials will be posted on SOFT for everyone to access.
There will also be grading test to reflect the competence of the learner.

Well James I don't mean to be spoiler since everyone is for the SOFT school even I myself am in favour of it...

But I would like to highlight something here....

Suppose if you post learning materials on SOFT for everyone to access , usually being in a beginner musician's shoes , I would probably think , "Hey why must I learn all these grade 1 stuff when I can easily access the grade 5 notes?"

So as a result , the beginner tries very hard to comprehen the grade 5 syllabus and may even succeed in the end , but the consequences of it may be that although he/she may somehow understand the more advance stuff , but the foundation is NOT there.The beginner does not know the relationship between the different scales and chords etc . It's like , "hmmm what's a perfect fifth?" "oh okay , I THINK I KNOW judging by "how the pattern goes."

In the end , this assumption may lead to a musical catastrophe to a learning musician because it's just as good as going back to the basics from which the learning musician refuses to do initially...

Perhaps all SOFTies could start from grade 1 unless they show proper certs which proves that they should start at a more advanced level.For example if I have a grade 3 ABRSM cert , I could start reading notes from grade 4 onwards...

I would also like to suggest that after someone completes an exam and progresses to a higher level , he/she be given a password to unlock the thread containing grade 4 notes.Each password give should be a different one to avoid , password sharing among others....

So basically each thread from grade 2 onwards is subjected to a password....

I hope you get what I mean....

Cheers

8)

julius i'm gonna flame you, wahahahaha :axe: anw i'm against ur idea, i tink it's up to the persons self discipline whether or not he or she wants to go through the basics, or juz shortcut and go str8 to the good stuff

I don't quite get it. Are you thinking of face-to-face or online lessons? When you say that the materials will be posted on SOFT for all to access, is that refering to online lessons? If that is so, how can one be charged?

Practical skills cannot be learned by just reading - so face-to-face teaching will have to come in. Theory - online is possible. So is composition.

But we have to be clear on the objectives. What is the end goal for the student? We cannot think along the line of SOFT's objectives - we have to think from the students' perspectives: what they want to get out of a course like this. Only then can a proper syllabus be developed.

The million dollar question would be: why would I want to join SOFT's course if I can pay somebody else to give me one-on-one lesson? What can SOFT give me that the others cannot? If we can answer this question, we have something to start working on.

you guys are posting so difficult questions but that is good. it helps me to think about things in different perspective.

edo83, will try to produce a comprehensive syallbus. good enough to help a completely newbie to develop his/her musicality. not an easy task but will try.

boomdoom, can you please contact me at info@soft.com.sg ?

pooo, we can issue a certificate of recognition for those who pass the test. MI/Berklee will be the ultimate.

DoubleBlade, my answer is same as jeremyrozario

Cheez, the learning material should be online. I hope it will be available free of charge but this will depends. With the online material, the students will have to practise by themselves, we can have the forum for students to post their recording to get feedback. for those who need more help, we can have a pool of private tutors.

As for "What can SOFT give me that the others cannot?" My answer would be "SOFT will try to provide an interactive learning platform that is available 24/7 via Internet"

Hey James, you are also helping me run the courses at HeartRock Centre right? Then all these face to face thing, distribution of materials, paying of instructors and especially the gig thing can be settled lor.

ok...this is getting good

so ur trying to say is :

1) every1 auto open grade1 accounts.
2) ppl with higher grade studies will hav to scan their cert and send to soft.then soft will send he/she a password unlocking to higher grades.
3) the articles are free but the passwords ensure security that the students do not skip articles.
4) the exams must be paid and the student has to complete it and scan it to prove to soft that he is ready for the nex step.

Is this wad u hav in mind or am i too influenced by doubleblade? :lol:

Also note that grades given by SOFT will not be recognised elsewhere as SOFT is not accredidated by any professional music body.

So I don't think having grades should be the "selling point". If people wants grades, they will go for ABRSM or Trinity.

If we do embark on this, pehaps we should focus more on the practical aspects of things. I don't mean practical as in no theory, but giving more practical and applicable lessons. Theory can be theoretical or practical as well. So is composition/ mixing/ sound etc. That way, SOFT can deliver a course different from others, focusing on the "doing part", not just the conceptual part. Perhaps, James, you should start a poll to check out the market needs - what the market sectors look like and what enrolling students will like SOFT to offer.

Great idea.

Is it gonna be something like online music school that we have to pay or anything?

Or is it free for everyone? :D

I definitely want to enroll if it's free

I'm all for it as a beginner!

The only issues would be not having someone there to show you what your doing wrong etc.

But great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back