A REGISTRAR FOR SINGAPORE BANDS

:idea: I want to start a REGISTRAR FOR SINGAPORE BANDS....Why?

1. So as to put a definition to what is truly Singapore Band just like vessels at sea, the flag they carry determines the country they represent, doesn't matter who the owner is.

2. Some bands have name clash or name confusion, so with a name registrar, we can eliminate that.

3. This is the beginning of a united effort to raise the status of Singapore Bands in the eyes of the public.

I know many bands will not agree nor subscribe to this idea because..."who the hell is HRS trying to dictate what name we want to use or if we decide to change it, we just do without restriction nor hassle."

I can understand! I only need those who believe that htis will help us go a step further in terms of professionalism.

I think I have mentioned earlier that HeartRock gigs will go for a name change. In line with this, a new organization will be officially formed and we have sort of decided on the gigs name to be Street Beat. We hope to register the organization soon and we can get started with band registrar and helping Singapore Bands to come together and do something good for the scene.

just curious, how do we settle name clashes? will people just be chionging to the registrar to book the name?

What I suspect is happening now is one band really do not know if another band of the same name existed. We'll have to base on honest declaration of "date of formation", but people can be dishonest with that if that is the only basis. The other reality is name clash fo now would likely happen to lesser known bands. No one has came out to claim themselves as Electrico or Borephuck or whatever else. So I do not think it is going to be difficult to arbitrate. If the registrar has the support of the entire bands community, it should have the clout to decide between the contesting parties. Having said that, the registrar would prefer to have amicable resolutions rather than exercising overriding powers. So arbitration or compromising may be the way to go. Another reality is no two bands would want to have the same name where both are equally unknown. What's the point of working hard and at the end of the day sharing the fame with someone else. It is easier to settle name calsh now than when the scene becomes more matured and it will be more difficult when more effort has been spent by bands on building their names.

I have had two recent experience of name clash, one with BUMI of Singapore & BUMI of Malaysia. The Singapore band decided to change to BHUMI instead, and I thought that was very gracious of them. Another was a band that never had a name for several months and later they wanted to name themselves Euphoria, but I told them that there already is a band with that name, but they would prefer to stick with their decision. These were two very different situations but both highlighted the need for a registrar. If there is a Singapore registered BUMI, then there really was no need for a anme change because it is absolutely different from one of Malaysia's, unless the band name is registered as an International Trade Mark. I am happy if our bands can, and very quickly become Int'l Trade Mark item.

yea.. i am waitin for heartrock to get on wif it.. its a good idea.. then maybe have a website up with all the bands names registered and their official members stuffs..

First let us get the organization registered. I already have 100 bands registered as those interested to gig at HRS. Just fine tune it a little and we'll have a headstart for a full scale band registrar.

I hope we can have a launch for that, and bands of the 60s,70s & 80s who are still around, we'll get them to take the lead. This is going to be exciting, truly Made In Singapore..eh I mean Making In Singapre, incase James mind about the past tense.

Back