A Plea For Help From All SOFTies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i bought the cd, like it but...............................
the cd sleeve kinda look damn ugly (no offences)
Whats up with the lightning and all. :lol:

i'm guessing how many people actually knows smells like indie spirt came is a spinoff of smells like teen spirit

Please rape our adolescence

Found a random blog of someone writing about the local bands on the CD :)
Couldn't help myself :) Had to do a search to see the 'outside' public reaction to it heh.

"And in case you people are wondering, the CD has 30 songs from all-local bands. You can only get it from buying LIME. And my verdict? I'm on the 6th song and I'm AWED. Simply awed. No joke! Sure, mostly rock songs but hey! THEY ARE GOOD. Really really. Who says Singapore has no talent man? They just need a platform to showcase themselves:)"

i'm guessing how many people actually knows smells like indie spirt came is a spinoff of smells like teen spirit
"Nirvana who? What's this Nirvana you're talking about?"

Common, Nirvana ain't local... = a lot of local people will know them. As usual... -_-"

Had to search for the Mag abit, alot of places don't have 'em, last place I went to was 7-11, they had like 4 copies.

Had a listen, then did an A-B comparison with "other" products, then realised that all the 30 songs are in mp3 format, so not fair to compare cause they have been compressed.

As everybody knows the compression actually removes data from the file to make it smaller, kinda like the resolution getting bad when compressing photos.

So even with that, I'd say it's a damn good compilation.

Maybe in the future, don't squeeze in so many bands eh Lime. It kinda degrades the audio.

BUT BUT...

Bands sent their mp3s over in the first place! Haha not wav raw files or non-lossy formats... So it's no use burning an audio CD from mp3s cuz when people rip them (cuz they need to if they want mp3s) then overall, the file would have been converted twice in total into mp3... Bad idea indeed!

So in the end of the day, mp3s should just be left alone.

actually my say about this (I bought it by the way) is that, originally i thought a cd could store 680mb and you're storing ONLY 30 mp3s??

i was talking over msn with roland (recording engineer of Slathe / Anna Judge April / Valentine's Letter) he mentioned somethin about more than 30 mp3s could hinder the quality control and that I had to agree as the old days of DIY cds (I HAVE THEM!I GOT PROOF! hehe.) it was just a clump of shit tracks, and I mean shit by WAV > mp3 128kbps or worse > burn to CD audio as 16bit/44.1khz or bands that didn't record properly just sending in a poor jam session MD recording.) spoils the image.

so put 30 mp3s of decent to great recordings ppl diss abit is better than putting 300 mp3s of chepalang recordings and ppl diss worse right?

although I was thinking it'll be more convenient next time to put up maybe 20 bands that'll fit as CD Audio, cos i popped into my car stereo and realised it was in MP3s..

Please rape our adolescence

Found a random blog of someone writing about the local bands on the CD :)
Couldn't help myself :) Had to do a search to see the 'outside' public reaction to it heh.

"And in case you people are wondering, the CD has 30 songs from all-local bands. You can only get it from buying LIME. And my verdict? I'm on the 6th song and I'm AWED. Simply awed. No joke! Sure, mostly rock songs but hey! THEY ARE GOOD. Really really. Who says Singapore has no talent man? They just need a platform to showcase themselves:)"

please rape our adolescence?

that's part of the lyrics of a song by A Static Lullaby!
the song's called Mechanical Heart
very good band

P.S. Thanks for the compliments of the Bukkake Udon song :) I really did want to write a fun song without going emo. Happy fun-loving rock music to wake up in the morning to.

You should have included "Yamate" and "Ichi ichi ichi ichi..." in the tune.

=MadWereWolfBoy

I see,

I'm not sure but, If i wanted the masses to hear my work, I'd send in the best quality master that I have, not mp3.

Or is there something I missed here, I'm new to this, is it because of copyright blocks? Like give 10sec high quality sample or full song low quality?

In any case, I would really love it if all submits would be in their highest possible quality, correct me if I'm wrong, maybe this would be a good time for all recording talents to deal with at least 44.1khz material, stop submitting mp3s, and I think would be good for the mastering people too.

Technically speaking, compression does reduce audio quality. I agree that the bands should have sent in their raw files instead of mp3s.

But at the end of the day, the objective is to reach out to tonnes of people 300,000 of them to listen to local sounds.

LIME's target market are not musicians. LIME is a mag for teens and that's what drives the scene here. So to speak, even if Singapore's top bands had a lousy home recording on myspace, fans would still flock to download it and listen to it on their mp3 player.

All in all, it all depends on how many youths out there will say "wow! this band is good!" then "dang, I think this sounds like mp3".

The amount of comments in this thread says it all.

=wantonne

I agree that the band says it all,
but wouldn't it be nice to raise the bar a little? Set a standard? So future talents will see it through.

I guess I forgot to say that i speak for myself that, putting in mp3s is a big no no, even if it's not to target anyone else in particular, cept the fans.

What I'm saying is, so much dedication is put in to produce the sculpture, but at the very end, it's presented in a lighting state thats not so good, a carpenter building a beautiful chair, but not varnishing it to bring out the intricate designs and carvings so meticulously worked on, but of course, people will still love to sit it in.

Again I applaud the work produced by all the talents, mp3 or otherwise, please excuse me if I sound a little germanic about the "quality" topic.

:)

Haha.. very subjective topic. :) I get what you mean.

I too applaude the effort and I'd say it's valiant of the editorial team to have pushed it this far! Bravo!

I think local bands are more than willing to get their music heard and with more and more publications supporting our scene, it's just in due time that our homegrown bands are able to break into the SEA's market.

There's soooo many opportunities nowadays and I'm glad to see tonnes of them taking it up. Another Bravo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back