Epiphone: Les Paul Ultra

subversion

230732.jpg

Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
List: $1,000

The singlecut outline has a timeless appeal. Epiphone’s Les Paul Ultra is still the familiar aforementioned design albeit a little different under the finish. Unlike other LP makes, the Ultra sports a satin finish neck rear & chambered body. Another notable difference is the inclusion of a ribcage chamfer, joy to those of us who strap on our Epis extensively.

Ribcage chamfer:
Les-Paul-Ultra-back-sm.jpg

Construction/ Fit/ finish
Upon handling the Ultra, its chambered sections make their presence felt; one would feel the less massive nature of this guitar (also thanks to the reduced body depth). A quick tap on the various body areas confirms the cavities’ presence. If you aren’t familiar with the satin finish on any guitars, it is actually the texture of bare wood, given the slightest of lacquer coatings (the bare minimum) & a suitable tint to match the body’s hue. This guitar features a maple neck as opposed to the mahogany affair preferred by majority of the Gibson offerings. Why the deviation? If you are familiar with the Epiphone selections & had the opportunity to audition the various models in person, you’d note by now that, despite the specified wood type stated in the manufacturer’s webpages, the actual material in use remains contestable. The other aspects of this Ultra are typical Les Paul affair, less the ribcage chamfer which is a very considerate inclusion.

The Ultra's chambered internals
epiphone-les-paul-ultra-in.jpg

Over the years, Epiphone’s quality assurances proved, time & again, to be deficient in certain aspects. This Ultra would have aced the QC scrutiny if not for some messy finish at the neck-body joint area; the only shortcoming in an otherwise excellent offering.

Rating: 88%

Playability/ tone
The potent pickup/ body mass chemistry proves to be the Ultra’s forte. Both the clean & driven tones coming from this guitar are some of the most satisfying from an Epi LP sporting default factory pickups. While the Alnico Classic/ Plus pickups are responsible for the polished top end you hear from the Ultra, the less massive, chambered body is responsible for that warm, open-sounding, single note definition.

The satin finished neck rear also enhances playability while the genuine Grover tuners over at the headstock, ensures a pleasant tuning encounter, unlike other in-house versions adorned on other Epi LPs. This is crucial when it comes to the Epiphone non-locking nut design as it ensures tuning stability- but nothing beats locking units, of course.

Tone test equipment:
*Amps: Randall RG75/ Peavey Triple XXX (2X12 combo)

Rating:
*Playability: 88%
*Tone: 90%

Conclusion
This is indeed one of the better LP interpretations Epiphone has to offer in its non-signature selections. There would be skeptics dismissing the Ultra on grounds of body mass authenticity. However, prospective buyers need not be too distraught by this omission because the typical deep, grunt of a Les Paul is present. We’d wonder why the inclusion of a satin finished neck & that simple ribcage chamfer add exponentially to the guitar’s overall playability. Perhaps Epiphone would do well to continue providing such positive deviations all in the name of a more unmistakable playing experience. Leave the archaic authenticity (but very desirable, mind you) to Gibson. Good looks & tone aplenty at a very reasonable price tag.

Overall rating: 88%

• Default pickups
• Striking quilted top
• Reliable tuners

Dislikes:
• Messy finish at neck-body joint area
• No hard case offered at this price range

Worthy competitors:
*Burny RLG-45
*PRS SE Singlecut
*Edwards E-LP85

i'm with you, bro! :partyman:

still on Epi LPs, these are the ones i recommend by virtue of good playability & tone:

*Zakk Wylde
*Boneyard
*Ultra (latest inclusion)
*Standard Plus

Yo bro, i went 2 SL yesterday and it still mesmerizes me, although i've handled it several times and have the even more magical Ibanez RGTCR2. Cld u update this review to look like the new ones? I think this guitar deserves more mention over all other Epi LP guitars.

Hey, just a question, but according to some reliable sources they say the neck is Mahogany but according to the Epi webpage, they say is hard maple. Also, some say the body is Mahogany/Alder. What is for real and what's not?

that's the thing with Epi, sometimes the wood specified isn't the one beneath the paint. if you think this affects you in some ways or other, steer clear. otherwise, a good guitar is a good guitar, regardless of the wood type/ country of origin 8)

man...ive tested this guitar today. I must say its tone is great! Feels great when soloing on it.
At SGD1k id say its a good buy! :D

yeah the moment i saw this review, i thought its the les paul for me.. cause i'm not into glossed chunky necks and heavy bodies.. how does the neck feel?

the neck isn't a replication of any Gibson profiles per se but the chunky C-profile remains playable without being ecessively fat. another reminder: the neck rear sports a satin finish... 8)

this guitar is not as red as seen in the pic.its more of orange and the colour is very bright.the rib-cage part is quite shallow actually

hi bro :cool: i wasn't informed if there were any in the package. if you choose to get it from swee lee (bras basah), you can work out some inclusion (bag/ cable/ etc) in the asking price.

missing reviews: there were some PMs telling me of those missing ones (not only the CUBE review, guitars like RGT220A/ GSZ120 are also missing during the homepage migration). no worries, i'll have them back up pretty soon (in the current rating format), give me some time, ok?

Back